Sign in to follow this  
munkay

What s normal oil temp?

Just got my oil temp sender refitted today:

was sitting at around 100-104 in traffic today.

What is the norm?

also, had oil change and they put in Shell Helix (I assume semi) Is this correct??

hello m8 thats about the same as mine ! between 90-96 when driving but goes up to 100-106 when in traffic, i think thats about norm..! :p

Thats normal I think the second fan speed comes in at 104degs so it shouldn't really get much higher than that unless your really ragging it :D

kewl..seems fine then :D

gonna have a big bill tomorrow tho :/

timing belts / rear shocks /front pads / radiator possible bushes and anti roll

doh

on the plus side..i reckon the shocks/running gear stuff had a lot to do with my unwanted powerslide the other day :shock:

my G60 cant run up to 110 its normally at 100-110 ia this too high. The other day when it was humid and a bit of a storm it went up to 116 in traffic? is this too high and if so why and how do i sort it?

Critical_Mass, nah, that's not too bad...

If you're worried about the temps, stick in a Mocal 19row oil cooler... That'll keep your temps down... 8)

Have a word with G-Man, he does the kits for a good price...

lol def something not right if its running at 140C at 100mph. how much would you be expected to pay for one of the oil coolers? it'd be worth it, supercharger would work better.

lol def something not right if its running at 140C at 100mph. how much would you be expected to pay for one of the oil coolers? it'd be worth it, supercharger would work better.

I was told by GTI Engineering years ago that dyno rig tested golf gti engines produced maximum power output with the oil regulated to 107 deg C, that was on Mobil 1 I think (whatever spec it was circa 1990). I'd imagine either side of that figure the power would tail off ever so slightly.

David.