Sign in to follow this  
grey-vr6-dan

Is it normal?

A mate was following me yesterday and we got to a stretch of dual carrage way and I booted it hard and afterwards my mate said he saw some smoke coming out of my exhaust like it was burning oil when I did it.

The car is a vr6 and it has a de-cat pipe. The head was rebuild 20k ago with new valve guides etc. I have heard vr6's use oil but wasnt sure if a bit of smoke is normal or not. I havn't had the car long you see.

Dan.

It's not unusual for old engines to blow a bit of smoke, but the amount of oil consumption should be your guide to when things get serious.

Also, it depends on what colour the smoke is/was. Black smoke indicates over-fueling which I believe is not unusual at high revs and much preferred to under-fueling. Blue smoke is an indication of burnt oil. As has been said, unless you are getting through serious amounts of oil, plugs are fouled,etc., it's not the end of the World.

Best wishes

RB

Oil level seems to be fine, its not dropped at all since ive owned the car.

The mate who saw it isnt very technicaly minded so it may have been black smoke. I havnt noticed any in the mirror so its probably not much, and he said he only saw it when i booted it hard. I do have an intermittent knock sensor fault on the car currently so the retarded timing could cause it???

If the knock or cam sensors are out, it will over fuel and retard the ignition as a safety measure.

A puff of black smoke when changing gear during full throttle blasts is normal. Follow any car giving it large and you'll see all but the leanest of the lean running old fart's cars do it.

Performance engines always over fuel at the top end as it keeps the valves cool, therfore increasing engine life.

If it's blue smoke, VR's aren't unknown for it as already mentioned.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think i'll have to get someone who knows what they are talking about to follow me. My old man followed me home when I bought it and didn't see any smoke at all doing 80-90 on the motorway.

Had mine doing something very similar yesterday afternoon.

To cut a long story short, was trying to get the engine temp up to check the coolant/thermostat and so was idling high while parked at the kerb. My wife got in when I got out to feel the pipes and she gave it some welly - suddenly there was a big sooty cloud wafting down the road... :shock:

I tried to repeat it directly on the throttle but no luck - turns out she had floored it all the way to the limiter (oil temp was over 80C thankfully) :D Repeated 'leadfoot' attempts all produced the same black smoke right at the top end.

Newly rebuilt 68mm G60 @ redline = >15psi, so the ECU would have been overfuelling hard. That combined with the sudden shock of all that gas going through the exhaust system probably shook off some soot and made a heck of a cloud.

Having realised that the colour and context of the smoke were to be expected, my blood pressure subsided :wink:

Anything part throttle/under 6k rpm didn't do it at all. Phew. :D

turns out she had floored it all the way to the limiter

That's an sackable offense! :lol:

That combined with the sudden shock of all that gas going through the exhaust system probably shook off some soot and made a heck of a cloud.

No that's just soot mate; unburned fuel! A lot of forced induction engines are rich at the top end as a saftey measure. Keeps the valves cool too 8)

turns out she had floored it all the way to the limiter

That's an sackable offense! :lol:

Can't blame the lass, she's got rally in her blood - makes my life a lot easier in persuading her that various car mods are necessary :wink: :)

love it i whish i can find a missus like that

Case in point: Working on the rear brakes yesterday, I managed to shear off the bleed nipple on the right caliper :mad:

My beloved then says, "You'll have to buy a new set - I don't want them refurbed or reconditioned." :shock: :D

Dang, I love that woman! :wink: 8)