Sign in to follow this  
DelMonty

Warm gear lever surround

Hi all,

Went for a short spin in the car tonight and when parked I noticed the leather gearstick gaitor was a bit warm. I felt the sides and the Karmann badge which all seemed warm as well so I took the cover off and found it quite hot under there, to the point my finger couldn't touch it for very long otherwise it would become uncomfortable. The problem I have is I need to go approx 50 miles tomorrow for an interview, but am worried the gearbox is overheating. Am I just being paranoid? I can't remember if it's always like this!

Wondering if some of the head shielding has come loose or something and the heat from the exhaust is coming up through the gear stick? You should get it checked out...

the gearbox isn't anywhere near the "faux transmission tunnel"/gear lever surround area btw.............so its more than likely what Jim has suggested

Mine's like that too, it's never been an issue. The VR6 exhaust isn't far away from the tunnel there (in fact it's probably the catalyst), it just gets warm that's all. Don't worry about it.

mine gets hot too, but im a bit late replyin!! when i was driving my car back from buying it i freaked out and bought a fire extinguisher before driving all the way home!! talk about paranoid, guess its best to be safe though!