Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Removing the steering wheel

Following a recent 'brown trouser' moment when I had a blowout :shock: and then hitting a kerb, my steering wheel is now at an angle when going in a straight line (as in the horizontal bit, isn't horizontal anymore :wink:)

Is it a straight forward exercise to remove it and then re-attach it so that it's straight once again? I've had someone do this for me before, but need to save the pennies and wondered if this is a DIY job for the mechanically challenged...

Answers on a postage stamp to the usual address :lol:

DtM.

It could be squint because the tracking/alignment is out. If you have had both of these checked (and that all your tires are balanced) then all you do is remove the horn cover and undo a big feckin bolt and take the wheel off. Just make sure your wheels are straight before you do this. I think thats about it really.

Cheers bud!

If the connection is that straight forward then hopefully that means that my steering wheel has moved rather than my steering rack being fubar'd.

I haven't had the tracking/alignment done yet, but the car actually feels ok (I can feel it's out, but it's not by a huge amount). Other than that it's just the skewed steering wheel (which is more irritating/distracting than anything else).

:thumb right: :thumbleft:

DtM.

There is more chance that the track rod ends may need adjusting,

what about if one wheel is misaligned so its like / l and by trying to straighten it you will make it like l \ get the tracking sorted first mate cos thats where they make sure both wheels are paralell

if you have hit a kirb buddy and your steering wheel is on the skew 100% you need to take it down the garage and get somebody to just take a look do this before you go through the bother of taking the steering wheel off otherwise you'll just end up doing yourself :D

if youve hit a kerb with any force you could have done damage to just about anything in that area - Id get it checked out pretty quickly.

(remember years back when I went round an unfamiliar country lane in my old GTE.....car held the road just but smacked the rear wheel on the kerb after the corner.........new rear beam,stub axle allsorts of damage!!!)

I wouldn't have said the steering will would be the problem either, more like a sign of something else.

Cheers for the replies everyone!

I'm hoping to get the tracking/alignment looked at this afternoon.

Since I've recently had the track rods/lower wishbones/shocks & springs replaced I'm hoping that being new they'll have had a better chance of withstanding the kerb... :fingerscrossed:

I'll leave the steeering wheel alone until that's done, but it was ok because I didn't have a tool big enough for that

big feckin bolt
anyway :lol:

:smuttyinnuendo:

DtM.