Sign in to follow this  
vardo

CAM RATTLE WHEN WARM,2.0 9A 16V ,INTERMITTENT

ive developed an intermittent cam rattle especially when warm,car had a recent oil change,1st with fully synthetic oil[but only for 3 days],now it has semi synthetic 10 40 grade oil,it has been ok for 3 weeks but has started to rattle when warm,any suggestions before i have to take it apart???

just a cam rattle,like if your in 4th gear and you should be in 3rd and you get that GRRRR,bag of bolts rattling inside a drum ,kinda sound,if you know what i mean :D :) [mini cab rattling sound]

r u sure its coming from the cam and not the cam belt tensioner?

I had same sound.

The bearings had collapsed in the cam belt tensioner.

You need to rule that out quickly and if it is that stop driving it.(Obviously). :)

i will check that tomorrow,the noise has been away for a couple of days,but ive not been any distance in the car just to and from work,about 5 miles a day,so the engine hasnt really warmed up properly!

i did the kr cam thing recently and when i got it all back together it sounded like a rough running taxi......turned out the tensioner was too loose......new belt and tensioner and all well :D ...this info might be useless but...??

hope you get it sorted mate

thanks troops, the car is now in the lock up, to get a thorough going over so i will check tensioners and things,need to make sure she is minted be fore going to e38 next month i dont want another breakdown 400 miles away from home again!!!!