Sign in to follow this  
sim0n_parker

sunroof lid alignment? now leaking worse! help

right basicly my sunroof mechanisms turnd up today 8) and ive noticed that the sunroof lid (part that you can see outside colour coded to your car) comes away from the mechanisms, but as i was removing it it all slid about...... :( oh no i thought, looks like im going to have fun to try and align all this up i said to my self.

so my question is...

is there an easy way of aligning the actual lid part of the roof onto the mechanism? how should it sit? im a newbie to these corrados and still learning as i go along.

thanks alot, and i apoligise again for bringing another dreaded sunroof question up.. if there is alink to this then please forward it to me and also give me a slap.

chears

simon

It's pretty easy. Wack the complete unit in, with the roof panel slightly loose and the interior panel slid back, then tip it forward. nip the screws up tight, sit the roof back closed, see how it looks, tip it forward, adjust the screws accordingly.

Biggedy biggedy boing.

tthat sounds abit too easy. :lol: so once the roofs in situation etc and ive sorted that out i can easily get the inner sunroof cover that covers up the underside of the sunroof in place easily?

chears matey

simon

To remove it when the sunroof is in, you tilt the roof and slide the inner piece back to release it from the clips on the roof. Think refitting is similar. You need to wiggle it back and forth a touch so the flap is sticking out through the sunroof then slide it all forward if I remember rightly.. It's been a little while...

fitted the mechanism etc and it works spot on, but the adjuster screw parts on the lid are rounded of on the drivers side so it just grips slightly but soon as you move the roof with the motor the lid flops about on that side, also ive fitted the new seal but it absolutly soaks me in water when i put the hose over the top, is this because of the adjuster screws? can you out the seal on the wrong way round? any tips?

simon

At the risk of causing offence - the adjuster screws are spline drive not allen key. If you're already using the correct tool (sorry :) ) the screws can be replaced*, so that's no problem.

The seal isn't a water seal though - that's why there are water drain pipes at each corners of the roof mechanism. If water is flooding in when you hose the roof, either the drains are blocked (causing and overflow) or the inner panel isn't fitted properly.

HTH

*I'm sure I've go some

no its where the torque screws screw into the sunroof, the nut has stripd its thread (previous owner i think as the roof was held on with cable ties when i came to renew the mechanism,

the seal is leaking along the rear long edge, where there isnt any guttering, i have got all the roof lining out and inner sunroof panal out.

chears

simon

i forgot to mention, ive got a second sunroof lid that ive sent of for spraying as the old one has got scratchs down it. so the rounded nuts arnt really an isue as they are ok on the new lid.

mainly just the leaking water issue.

simon

Ah right - the threads in the roof panel have gone. No problem if you're replacing that, but check the threads on the torque screws.

As the the leak issue: the inner panel of the sunroof mechanism - when fitted properly - catches the water and drops it into the side channels of the mechanism from where it drains away. If the complete inner panel isn't fitted or is damaged, you'll get wet no matter what you do with the 'seal' along the edge of the roof panel.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh i see! sound mate! thanks alot, appreciate this! i will double check the screws, if they are stripd you say you have some spares?

simon

Im currently going through this delightful experience too. I have the exterior panel in place, all the screws nipped up and it sits level etc, but now the interior panel is giving me trouble. I cannot get it to slide back underneath the exterior panel. Ive tried everything, so my only other option is to remove the entire mechanism from the car (again) and try to sort it out that way. I do curse whoever invented this sunroof mechanism though, as it truely is shocking.

I feel your pain Skinnyman, I am having the exact same trouble, I hate the interior part, why couldn't they just colour the underneath of the sunroof the right colour? I wouldn't mind now

The way I approached this problem was very tedious & stressful seeing as I was working alone. I left the interior part out of the sunroof setup initially, connected the subframe to the roof & tightened it all up. Then i adjusted the sunroof slightly whilst in until it looked ok when sat back down, obviously just going by eye isn't very reliable as I later found out. Anyway, I then took the frame back out with the sunroof on tilt and I slid* the interior part almost into place and refitted the whole subframe again. Took it out for a spin & the wind noise was louder than before, so now I have to go through it allll again, great!

* When I say slid I mean spent about 30 mins on the lawn with screwdrivers in each hand trying to push down the little clips underneath the mechanisms simultaneously whilst moving the interior part forwards with my chin. It was very entertaining for my parents who were sat on the patio listening to all the swear words I know.

Like I said on the other thread covering this topic: Put the roof on full tilt and just slide the inner panel forward until it locks in place...