Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

Nice and simple question?

Hi, maybe this will be a straightforward answer that I just cant see

Having replaced the front stock speakers with Alpine components , I am only getting sound from the drivers side.Right side all wired up ok with sound coming from both tweeter and woofer (and the stock dash R tweeter I have left in)

Tried switching the speaker to the other side and it works, so the speakers are OK

I assume the speaker lead goes straight from the door to the headunit loom - surely there's no room for malfunction here?

Really narking me this :(

How have you wired it up?

The standard wiring goes head unit -> tweeter -> door

If the connection to the tweeter has come off then both the tweeter and door speaker won't work.

If the tweeter is working, but the door one isn't, then the tweeter->door wire is at fault.

Hi dinkus - thanks for that - although now I have no sound from any speaker!!

Well I tried a direct +/- connection from a speaker to the speaker out terminals of the head unit without any sound...does this mean there's a problem with the head unit? Tried all four sets of terminals on the speaker out block and none of them gave out a sound

There's no fuse / relay for the speakers is there?

Is there any other way of testing the head unit?

You can test to see if there's a brreak in the wire - test the resistance in the wire from the headunit and the speaker using a multimeter. If there's no resistance then the cable is damaged somewhere, if there is resistance then there is another problem.

If I was fitting new components then I would probably re-wire anyway, or more likely run them from an amp. Not sure how well it works running them from the standard wiring as it all goes through the dash tweeters.

Cheers Mark

Done all that and the wiring was fine.

Just took the head unit to a local car audio place and its not working there either!

£300 quid and less than 7 months old! He thinks its the audio chip................:-(