Sign in to follow this  
djmac56

My White VR6 Now trying to hand polish inlet manifold

Since by chance I'm actually in fashion by rolling around in a Candy White 'Rado, I thought I'd put up a photo errr, or 3.

I've lowered the car by 30 mm, and had the speedies refurbed - diamond cut and laquered - shiny. After a decent amount of time spent (and money spent) at the Phirm on engine mounts, braided brake lines etc, here's the end result - in carpark light and night.

What do you all reckon about the wheels? I'm really pleased with the result!

Carincarpark.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

Oh, and close up:

DSC00371.jpg

Nice!

Liking the diamond-cut speedies.. who did them?

Oh and where do you hail from? Guessing south/coast as you've been to the Phirm....

Nice!

Liking the diamond-cut speedies.. who did them?

Oh and where do you hail from? Guessing south/coast as you've been to the Phirm....

I got them done by spit n polish - the way they catch the light is superb - especially at night. I've just added a close up of them in daylight as well.

I live in Surrey - not too far from Guildford - a place called 'Weybridge'.

Hoping there'll be some more meets down here in the not to distant future :)

That looks awesome mate. Good job!Think you have every right to be pleased with that!

Thanks matey - praise indeed from another white Corrado owner :)

That looks awesome mate. Good job!Think you have every right to be pleased with that!

Thanks matey - praise indeed from another white Corrado owner :)

Well, I have a white one and a black one and the white one looks best! :D Definately will be the one I keep when the black one is back on the road.

OK, I got my car back yesterday, so today I fancied trying something. Out came the wet and dry and some old emery paper.

Ooh you are awful, but I like you.

No not that sort of emery. I also bought some autosol, and had a go at polishing. I have a lot more to do, but it's not difficult, just takes ages. What do you think so far?

Not left handed are you by any chance? I only ever managed to polish one runner on mine before I swapped it for the Schrick but I started at the other end cos I'm right handed :lol:

Keep up the good work, they look brilliant when finished!

Not left handed are you by any chance? I only ever managed to polish one runner on mine before I swapped it for the Schrick but I started at the other end cos I'm right handed :lol:

Keep up the good work, they look brilliant when finished!

Nope I'm right handed - I just like to work left to right - I'm the same with reading and writing and with putting my socks on! :)

Nice rims .The first time I have seen speedlines diamond cut.How much did they cost mate ,only I need mine referbing so this could be an option.

Also like the finish on the inlet just cleaned my bay but it is let down by the finish on the manifold.

seing yours may drive me to have a crack at mine.

Really like the wheels, was going to get mine diamond cut but got a bit scared off by how prone they become to 'milking' if you scratch them (at least that's what the refurb guy told me). Look good though

Re the wheels:

Cheers for the comments!

Originally I had them lacquered, but it started to blister. Spit N Polish said it's because on old wheels like this they can't guarantee that they get all the oxidised metal off, so you end up with areas that dry differently and thus blister.

I asked them to a try again, but they decined and instead just machined the laquer off leaving me with bare metal on the wheels. This does oxidise and pit easily, but with the autosol polish they are back to a mirror finish in a matter of minutes. I use that doctor power stuff off the telly to take the thick off, rinse them and then polish and they look the poodles doodles. The non-flat faces are painted silver, but an excellent match as you can see from the photo. Unfortunately these are blistering too.

I paid 55 quid a wheel for it do be done and it was worth it as the car looks standard at first glance, but the shiny wheels lift the car a lot.

Cheers,

Mark

You would think that whites would all look the same, more or less. I think Candy White is a really striking colour, distinct.

Love the first pic.

Edit; Actually, why Candy White? Candy:American confectionery, Candy-floss, John Candy, Candy Dulfer..

The things that trouble me..

You would think that whites would all look the same, more or less. I think Candy White is a really striking colour, distinct.

Love the first pic.

Edit; Actually, why Candy White? Candy:American confectionery, Candy-floss, John Candy, Candy Dulfer..

The things that trouble me..

Cheers, yes I think Candy is whiter than Alpine White. I keep mine free from oxidising and yellowing too, so on a sunny day it's really striking. It never looks as mean as some of the darker colours, but I'm really pleased to be in what is quite a rare VR6 colour. I am only aware of 8 others, none in the UK.

very nice :D a top colour that can show up many others in my eyes (white is the new colour).

most corrado extremists will always say "white is shi*te" basic colour for the cheap models.

i thats just exact opposite reaction mine gets .

owned two white vr6 s in last 5 year (96 plate & now 95 plate).Not sure if candy or alpine... wiil check.

and still got my summer time love...............

very nice :D a top colour that can show up many others in my eyes (white is the new colour).

most corrado extremists will always say "white is shi*te" basic colour for the cheap models.

i thats just exact opposite reaction mine gets .

owned two white vr6 s in last 5 year (96 plate & now 95 plate).Not sure if candy or alpine... wiil check.

and still got my summer time love...............

Yes, especially since all the new German cars are looking great in white - especially the A5 - I regularly get Chufties. On a sunny day, it's great, plus mine has air con, which makes it even cooler!

Where in the North East are you? I'm popping up there at Easter and was thinking about dropping my car at Kish Executive cars for a retrim in sunset red Nappa leather.

Mark

Not me, ive always fancied a white c. Black roof, black spiloer and some deep rimmage with black centres. Very nice

Not me, ive always fancied a white c. Black roof, black spiloer and some deep rimmage with black centres. Very nice

Yes after seeing OSV's deep BBS RS with the black centres I'd thought about doing the same with some ASA AR1s or something (basically a licensed BBS RSGT for considerably fewer notes). However, I have a feeling that in the next few years we'll all be going back to more traditional plain wheels, so I think I'll stick to my shiny silver. I still want some other wheels, but polished as after the speedlines turned out so well I enjoy spending many an hour rim buffing.

Oh come on! I mean wheel rim buffing.....