Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

is my cars timing ok? and is there a rolling road near me?

i have just fitted a kr inlet, exhaust and de cat on my 2.0 16v and i belive it is timed up correctly but the engine is poping a lot on down rev and when shifting gear and my mate following me said he saw a flame out of my exhaust when changing gear. also at 4000rpm in 5th it sort of back fires occasionally but not really if you know what i mean!! :? (sort of lurches and drops momentarilly in power but then is fine again).

was wondering if this means i havent timed it properly or does it just need a good rolling road session? also can anyone recomend a good rolling road in cheshire or stourbridge area?

Timing on a valver was very simple when i did it on mine, the problem was that very minimal movement on the cam is a lot bigger on the flywheel so it's much easier to set it up with a friend looking at the flywheel while you make fraction of a degree adjustments at the other end. Had no need to do anything with the ECU before of after.

sorry that is misleading i had a garage do the cam and cam belt as im pretty short of time at the moment so am unsure how they did it but was curious as to whether this should sound like this?

it gurgles a lot?

how can i check the timing sorry if this is basic! i am waiting on the arrival of my passat haynes and am trying to find someone with the pdf of the bentley stuff.

i am fairly mechanically minded and willing to learn and tackle stuff so how would i check and alter if necessary the timing

No worries,

Remove the top cam cover, this will mean you can see the dot / indent on the cam pulley and the arrow on the rocker cover. Basically at this end of the engine you need to have the arrow and the dot lined up.

To do this crank the engine using the spline bolt at the bottom of the block where the water pump and alternator belts connect (possibly a 19mm bolt?)

Once this bit is lined up go to the other side and remove the bung that is on top of the flywheel / gearbox and see if the line lines up with dot. like i said before a very small adjustment (fractions of degrees) will mean mm on the flywheel which is why it's easier if your have a friend.

I may PM you regarding the bently later.....

Are we talking cam or ignition timing here? To get the cam timing wrong on a 16v you would have to be a complete numpty. It is more likely that it is an ignition timing issue.

well i wouldn't say a complete numpty....it wouldn't be too hard to be a tooth out, the garage could have done the ole tipex timing mark trick so would be even easier to potentially be a couple out...

Agree with all the comments, although I would say it is more than likely that the engine timing is out(which will also affect the ignition timing) and it is easy to set the timing a tooth out. My ignition timing was out, but this only caused starting problems...generally the car run, but did not have any of the symtoms you indicate.

As suggested what you need to do is remove the top timing belt cover and rotate the crankshaft pulley as previously mentioned. There is/should be an arrow on the lower timing belt cover. You will need to rotate the crankshaft pulley until the line/mark on the crankshaft pulley lines up with the arrow on the lower casing and the camshaft pulley mark lines up with the marking on the top plastic cover. This will check the "engine timing".

As for the ignition timing, this is quite straightforward. Again on the camshaft pulley there should be a line on the outer face. This is the timing mark. With a strobe light, this mark should line up with the marking on the plastic cover. The standard timing is I believe 6 degrees BTDC. I set mine up using the standard marks and it seems to run fine and pull quite strongly throughout the rev range....although 4500 revs up it seems to have a bit more zest.