Sign in to follow this  
Thom

Idle/Stalling Problem, 2L 16v

Hi guys,

Am having a little trouble with my Corrado, in that occaisionally, the engine is idling very rough, with the revs moving up and down and the engine coming closer and closer to stalling, and then does. However, restart the engine and all is running totally fine!, I have read a few other posts and seen that the ISV can be responsible for this, so I've taken it out and its soaking in cleaner as I type, but am thinking that this is probably quite optimistic and that it might be something else entirely, I've ruled out plugs and leads as these all seem fine and the car runs with no trouble after restarting.

Any ideas to what else could be causing this?

Cheers Big Ears :?

check out the wiring for the throttle potentiometer,and the 2 small hoses that connect to the underside of the air intake at the throttle body.

2 out of the 3 wires for the plug for the potentiometer on mine were broken inside the plastic coating......that was really easy to find out.....not.......took about a year of bad idiling to get annoyed enough to keep looking until found.

since i joined the wires the idle has been spot on

good luck :D

I had this for a while and tried loads of things to fix it but with no success.

Then my ignition switch failed, fitted new one from the stealers and cured that at the same time. Not sure why though!

check out the wiring for the throttle potentiometer,and the 2 small hoses that connect to the underside of the air intake at the throttle body.

2 out of the 3 wires for the plug for the potentiometer on mine were broken inside the plastic coating......that was really easy to find out.....not.......took about a year of bad idiling to get annoyed enough to keep looking until found.

since i joined the wires the idle has been spot on

good luck :D

as per easypops. i had exactly same problem. took to stealers who id problem replaced throttle potentometer .... sorted :D

Is the throttle pot the part underneath the dizzy cap with the 3 wires? These seem ok, but I may be talking about the wrong bit here (Kinda new to these problems, Scirocco engines are a lot simpler) Cheers for all the suggestions, am due a full sevice as soon as I get paid too.....

Is the throttle pot the part underneath the dizzy cap with the 3 wires? These seem ok, but I may be talking about the wrong bit here (Kinda new to these problems, Scirocco engines are a lot simpler) Cheers for all the suggestions, am due a full sevice as soon as I get paid too.....

the potentiometer is the bit under the throttle body.......not easy to get to .....really got to take the throttle body off to get access to it

I had the same symptoms with idling - a new ISV sorted it out! Worth picking up a spare on eBay if you can find one.. I got one from an Audi 80 2.0E - they use the same 9A engine as the Corrado and whilst the ISV looks a little different, it works just as well :) Cured my issues!

I did my ISV with carb cleaner a few times to no great effect for the record! If the ISV is dirty then yeah that'll sort it, but if its duff then there is no miracle cure! :(

ok, will check that out, any chance that this problem could be affecting my fuel consumption?