Sign in to follow this  
Eliot I

Brake Fluid Replacement

I need to replace my brake fluid in my 95 vr6 with abs. What are the procedures for this, I have replaced fluid before, but was on my 69 beetle, no abs pump or servo to worry about. So firstly how do i drain the old fluid out, then flush the system cause it is looking very murky and then refill, How do you bleed the system is it furthest to closest wheel to the servo and then abs pump or other way round. :?:

Also what fuild should I use.

Thanks

i used a easybleed with dot 4...use a turkey baster to suck out what you can form the res,you dont need to drain it...then use the kit as per the instuctions i did furthest wheel first and so on

i found it cheepest to but 5ltrs from ecp/gsf run about 2 ltrs though it to be sure..wait until it comes out clean...and keep some water handy incase of a spill...it strips paint!!

You can do the brakes just like your old Beetle mate. Just make sure the ign is off and de-pressuirse the system by pumping the pedal 20 times.

Gavin

You can do the brakes just like your old Beetle mate. Just make sure the ign is off and de-pressuirse the system by pumping the pedal 20 times.

Gavin

Does that not build up the pressure, only thinking when i pump the pedal with the ign off the pedal goes hard, or is there another reason for that.

Thanks for the advice.

It goes hard when you have no assistance. Each time you pump the brakes you use a bit of the vacuum in the servo. If you have ever driven an early Polo you'll know what unassisted brakes feel like.

A couple of folk on here or G60power have had the pressure switch fail on their ABS pump. The light comes on and you need to be Arnie to stop the car.

Gavin

Stealth did mine last time I was there and used an air line. Only took them about 30 mins. I think they flushed about 2 litres of DOT4 through. Since BF is hygroscopic, it's worth including a refresh in your 24,000 mile service intervals. Or you can use DOT 5 (lasts much longer) which has a higher boiling point but being synthetic, I don't know what affect this could have on the piston seals.

Kev

Or you can use DOT 5 (lasts much longer) which has a higher boiling point but being synthetic, I don't know what affect this could have on the piston seals.

I change my brake fluid as a matter of course when ever I get a new car after the brakes on an old GTI I had left me in the middle of a crossing thanking god that there was nothing coming! :shock:

I now always drain the system as much as possible (including hydraulic clutch if it's got one) and add in DOT5.1 fluid afterwards making sure that I'm certain that it's got ONLY the new fluid in the system...

I've yet to get brake failure on my cars and the clutches always feel LOADS better afterwards since I started with DOT5.1, I've also never had any problems with seals or the like and I put 40K on one of my cars before getting rid with no brake problems at all.... 8)