Sign in to follow this  
strimmer

Brake Upgrade 4 pots recommendations

VR standard discs are 280mm, the maximum size of disc you can put behind an alloy depends on the design of the alloy itself, a few have loads of clearance like the compomotive MO, which as Kev mentioned earlier can fir 305mm brembos behind them. Most however won't clear anything bigger than 280mm.

The best brakes (at least that I can think of) you'll get behind standard wheels are Tar-ox 6-pots

What can be had for less than the AP kit? and work as well?

Wilwood do some decent and inexpensive big brake kits. They're popular with Golf guys, although for some strange reason I've never seen Wilwoods fitted to a Corrado. Big range of options for pots/discs available.

Best sourced from Rally Design if my memory serves...

MO's seem to be around £500 and I'm tight for cash as a Rotrex charger is next I will have to stick with the current wheels which leaves me with the Wilwood, Hi-Spec, Tarox and Brembo sets using 280mm discs. Sticking to 4 pots, while I'm here grooved or drilled or both?

The Grey Pagid pads sound absolutely outstanding to me, matching almost word for word what I want my brakes to do.

Oh, how long do Quaife LSD last? Do they have lifetime warranties, I'm picking up one second hand in the next few days.

MO's seem to be around £500 and I'm tight for cash as a Rotrex charger is next I will have to stick with the current wheels which leaves me with the Wilwood, Hi-Spec, Tarox and Brembo sets using 280mm discs. Sticking to 4 pots, while I'm here grooved or drilled or both?

The Grey Pagid pads sound absolutely outstanding to me, matching almost word for word what I want my brakes to do.

Oh, how long do Quaife LSD last? Do they have lifetime warranties, I'm picking up one second hand in the next few days.

Please don't take this the wrong way but IMHO you'd be better off putting your money into a better braking system plus the wheels to fit over them, and if necessary delay your Rotrex charger to a later date. There's only so much you can do with a 280mm disc, don't do the the job by halves, go for the 323 or 328 kit and get some big wheels and decent rubber.

If you're going to stuff a sodding great charger in there you should ensure the car has the best braking you can get before you put extra power in.

The Quaife ATB should be ok as like the Quaife boxes they're very strong, but if you're in any doubt you might want to give them a call. I don't recall ever having seen a power rating in the spec (which you can check on Quaife's website)

Hope this helps

John

p.s. Grooved discs, not drilled :)

Been looking into grooved or drilled myself and Red Dot do something like 40 groove discs but it says they are not a fit and forget set up and they reguire regular cleaning, so if you go grooved get the smaller number of grooves of whichever make you go for.

The 2 piece AP discs seem the best ones to get after the Seat ones have gone. But at the price stated, I may just sell the Brembos before fitting and buy the APs (once the flat has sold in a few weeks!) - which was my original plan

If you defo want AP discs, look on ebay as they come up quite often. It is unlikely you will find discs with rotors that are the correct offset and PCD for your car on there, but sometimes you get rotors that have seen very little use come up real cheap. You can then get some bells made up to suit your application. I did that when upsizing from 304 to 330. AP wouldn't supply me the 330 carriers and bells on their own (they are a typical UK company, be warned!!), so I had them fax over the CAD drawing to BGdevelopments and they CNC'd me up a set for a very reasonable cost.

Bizarrely, APs 330mm discs are cheaper than the 304mm ones, so if running 17s seems to be cheaper on brakes aswell as rubber :lol:

I didn't read your post properly, LOL!

Yep, MOs will clear APs. 15" will clear 304mm discs, 16" can do about 330 I think, just, and 17s a lot bigger.

As for how many spokes you'll get, Compomotive are constantly updating them and last time I ordered 16" MOs, they came in 6 spoke, but they are lighter than the 5 spokes.

I didn't read your post properly, LOL!

Yep, MOs will clear APs. 15" will clear 304mm discs, 16" can do about 330 I think, just, and 17s a lot bigger.

As for how many spokes you'll get, Compomotive are constantly updating them and last time I ordered 16" MOs, they came in 6 spoke, but they are lighter than the 5 spokes.

Prefer the 5 spokes myself. What offset did you have to get on your 16"s? 304mm is plenty for me. Would like 15" although concerned about how rigid the sidewall will be. Priced up R888s and for 16" they only do a 205/55/16 tyre which isn't great and they're also bloody expensive. So maybe 15" is best who knows