Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

Thinking of buying a VW Bora as I family car....

Has anyone had any experience with these cars. I just can't make my mind up whether to get a 1.8T or TDI (150). I know there's a 2.8 4motion but it drinks much much petrol!!!!!!

Any knowledge would be great. Thanks

I'd seriously consider a passat estate matey. The boot is massive and the area to load stuff in is huuuugue compared to the saloon. Same goes for the Bora, big boot, small space to fit stuff in.

I've just got a Passat Estate Sport TDi and I love it. It's been remapped from 130 to around 170bhp and the torque is amazing. Big roomy, comfy car.

I've had the car over a week now and been to work and back 8 times, edinburgh and back, out and about and i've still got more that half a tank left! If that had been the rado I'd have had to fill up ages ago.

I'd agree- go for a Passat or Octavia estate. We've got a vRS and it's superb- has a huge boot and extremely practical, yet it's quick, nice to look at, nice interior too.

Mate of mine picked up a TDi 150 Bora this year and it awesome. I can't believe how quick it is, its obscene! He got an 03 plate with 103k on the clock (ex-company jobby) all the toys like digital climate control for £5,250. Plus its a minter. I think they make a great family car.

Other half has had a Bora V5 for 18 months and loves it, decent amount of rear seat space and massive boot, lot cheaper than a comparable Golf as well. If you're not doing too many miles then I'd certainly go down the petrol route, they are a lot cheaper than the the diesels and the saving will buy an awful lot of fuel.

My sisters bf has a Bora Highline diesel and that is a really nice car (good on juice, comfy, all the toys, 6 speedetc), proper nice car....but not a great lot of room for the back passengers

On the other hand, my dad has just brought a Passat V5 (think it may be the sport model, 1/2 leather alcantarer (sp), air con etc) and that is also a proper nice car to drive. Not as economical as the derv, but not as bad as youd think and goes pretty well. Its got loads of room in the back and in the boot. Its done 90kwith FVWSH, its absolutely immaculate and he only gave £2400 for it :shock: (1/2 the price of the bora). I would definately consider one of these because it really has shocked us all on what a good car it is

Like my daily, the bus that is a Passat V6 Syncro - full VW history, 12 months MOT, 1/2 leather, climatronic etc etc - all for the princely sum of £2200 - it even manages 30mpg on a pretty regular basis

My mate picked up a diesel S reg passat for just £2k, little over 80k on the clock too.

God knows why he bought it, he's a single 21yr old lad, lol

I have a baby due in October so there does need to be that much room really. It's boot is hug, for all the crap that I'm going to need to carry round!

believe me the boot will never be big enough, a 3 wheeler pushchair fills pretty much anything, then you rapidly start adding other kit as they get a bit older, we nearly bought a polo, so glad we got a golf and really an estate is what we need now for any major trips out.

Guys thanks for all the info, I'll definitely take a look at a Passat. I have a feeeling it's going to be too big for the wife though. I'm not too kean on the car either. I really like the looks of the Bora.

I don't think we'll be doing to many miles but it needs to be cheap to run on a daily basis. Are diesel expensive on maintance and services?

Maybe think about an Audi Avant tdi? - They're much better looking IMO and a bit better built.

I've got a cheap Audi 80 Avant and I love it, my wife drives it daily and does up to 400 miles a week in it with no problems, she's been driving less than 2 years too so isn't the worlds most experienced driver!

.....you can also buy tdi tuning box's from ebay for around £40-£50 that are easy to fit and give gains of 30-40bhp - much cheaper than a re-map.

Will G60....My mates 150 TDi Bora is mega cheap to service. It had some sort of option when new that allows the servicing to be done i think every 2yrs for something like £180.

Walesy...The above Bora has had a tuning effort fitted that was sourced from ebay for £28. My mate fitted it himself very easily and it made a good difference in performance too.

Will G60....My mates 150 TDi Bora is mega cheap to service. It had some sort of option when new that allows the servicing to be done i think every 2yrs for something like £180.

Walesy...The above Bora has had a tuning effort fitted that was sourced from ebay for £28. My mate fitted it himself very easily and it made a good difference in performance too.

That great news, i'll have to look into the servicing packages. Just missed getting a 150 TDI today but I'll find one soon, in no rush.

Seen some really nice modded examples over the last few months I just hope I can keep my hands off it.