ProdigalSon

ProdigalSon's G60: MOT pass! *phew*

Finally got the brakes sorted late autumn, but just before Christmas had a 70mph bonnet release! :shock: :(

See here for all the pics (don't want to upload them all twice...): http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 70#p748051

Anyway, got a new bonnet from mrbeige (thanks :wink:) and will get a new sunroof panel soon...

The next big thing is the MOT due on the 13th, and I know it won't pass due to overfuelling and a bust seam on my exhaust's back box :roll:

So, off to G-Werks again next Thursday for a stainless cat-back system and a serious retune! Hopefully on Friday will get an OE windscreen replacement on the insurance.

Following the MOT, I will be looking at at respray in Satin Silver, and then some suspension options - Was getting a Bilstein B12 kit but they've discontinued it :( :x So instead will be looking at an H&R Cup kit (they use Bilstein dampers apparently...) or maybe Bilstein B8 dampers with H&R springs. I don't need coilover 'adjustableness', and really rated Bilsteins on my Audi :) Getting the ride height down would be nice too :oops:

(And those BBS LM replicas in the Group Buy thread are awesome - at that price I'm thinking of getting 2 sets so I have spares 8) Gonna be an expensive winter! :lol: )

Watch this space... :wink:

Blimey, this car must have cost you more than your house! :lol:

There are some good suspension kits out there, but you really can't beat coillies. It's not just the adjustability, it's the ride quality. I've had several different options on my cars, and tbh nothing comes close to coillies. Definately worth the money imho.

Blimey, this car must have cost you more than your house! :lol:

Not yet, have you seen house prices in Oxford?! :shock: :lol:

There are some good suspension kits out there, but you really can't beat coillies. It's not just the adjustability, it's the ride quality. I've had several different options on my cars, and tbh nothing comes close to coillies. Definately worth the money imho.

Hmm, take your point, but would be spending 'coilie money' on a kit anyway - the B8 dampers + springs would be around 700 notes... I'd rather spend the money on a 'simpler' system that's higher quality than a setup that has lots of features I won't use (and the basic reliability/quality has been compromised in order to get all the bells and whistles in at that price point...) An extreme example to make my point, I know :wink:

I loved the improved handling on my Audi, and apparently those Bilsteins and the H&R springs together are the canine's crotch-luggage! :lol:

It'll be a while off yet though... :( Darned MOT :x

Clark, how was the MOT?

:(

Failed MOT on emissions - Daz at G-Werks did a great job of tuning the engine to get rid of the overfuelling, it really feels way more responsive and powerful now. Unfortunately, it looks as though that period of too much fuel has knackered the cat. Pants. :|

I had the following CO emissions:

Fast idle 1 = 4.5% (limit is 0.3%!)

Fast idle 2 = 7.5%

Slow idle = 4.1% (limit is 0.5%)

Will order a sports cat tomorrow, probably Milltek to match the shiny new exhaust :D

Also failed MOT on the N/S wishbone bush which has too much play in it. O/S was an advisory for the same reason... Two new wishbones with integral bushes on order, and will replace the ball joints at the same time - much easier and cheaper than buying bushes and trying/paying someone to fit them.

Right now, to cheer myself up, I am sorting out a wiring upgrade for my headlights and spots. Biggest problem is working out where to put the fuses and relays where they will be reasonably accessible and out of the elements...

Will probably do the wishbones and get the cat fitted and re-MOT'd on Friday, as I have the day off.

Those emissions are really high! :shock:

Mine passed it's MOT, in case you're interested :roll: :p

Cazza,

how did you pass your emissions with that ozone-causing vee in the bonnet? did you slip the guy a twenty?! :lol:

seriously though, good work on that. Awesome to hear you're going the black wheel look too! I highly recommend it.

I think we'll be doing wishbones this week, they're pretty simple so I reckon 2hrs tops for both of them?

Sucks that the G didn't pass MOT, it was running spot on through the wideband at G-Werks on thursday. Old mk2-esque cars can be so cruel! :/

We will get it working again soon though. I dread to think of the time when I can afford a catalysed car, so complicated...

I would stick to a normal cat as you really wont reap the benifits of a sports cat on a G60 as the cats really not that restrictive.

I would stick to a normal cat as you really wont reap the benifits of a sports cat on a G60 as the cats really not that restrictive.

really ?

I was considering a sports cat for my g60..

sorry OP to hijack.

You think I should stick to a normal cat because it will last longer than a sports cat? I get the impression that the sports cats are cheaper than OE because they have fewer cells inside (hence they flow better), but as a result they tend to wear out faster?

Thoughts & opinions welcome :wink:

Those emissions are really high! :shock:

Why yes they are :roll:

Mine passed it's MOT, in case you're interested :roll: :p

Grrr. :bad-words:

Well.... done... mate. Very... happy... for... you. :x :lol: :wink:

Fitted the N/S wishbone today, plus flushed and refilled the oil, and checked all the sparks were OK.

The old bolts in the wishbone were pretty rusted and needed some beef to get them shifted, then the new wishbone was awkward to slip into the subframe mountings - I recommend that anyone going to do this puts the car up on a lift, as doing it at knee level is hard work! That took about 5 hours in total, outside in the steady drizzle :( (note to self: get a garage, preferably heated)

The replacement cat arrived yesterday, but didn't have the time or the bolts/gasket to fit it today - once again it looks like uber-oxidised bolts will need some attention from a hacksaw. :roll:

Think I might have to get my local garage to do the cat and a partial MOT on it on Monday :)

Fitted the N/S wishbone today

Who? who did that? :thumb right: Ha ha, it was a good joint effort :D

The old bolts in the wishbone were pretty rusted and needed some [strike:2yrniunn]beef[/strike:2yrniunn] JON to get them shifted, then the new wishbone was awkward to slip into the subframe mountings - I recommend that anyone going to do this puts the car up on a lift, as doing it at knee level is hard work! (Edit: doing it from underneath lying in a pool of used oil is harder - Jon) That took about 5 hours in total, outside in the steady drizzle :( (note to self: get a garage, preferably heated)

8) It was hard work but we got there in the end. I was also glad to have regained circulation to my lower extremities, and after my third shower the oil is out of my hair. WooT!

Think I might have to get my local garage to do the cat and a partial MOT on it on Monday :)

Emissions are gonna get o w n e d. They can't stop the Bro-Team?!

Who? who did that? :thumb right: Ha ha, it was a good joint effort :D

WE fitted the N/S wishbone :roll: Credit where it's due I guess, but you're right, it was a team effort - equal amounts of genius and idiocy on both sides, eh bro? :lol:

The old bolts in the wishbone were pretty rusted and needed some [strike:1iib6xq4]beef[/strike:1iib6xq4] JON to get them shifted

:rofl: Ha ha ha! That's funny. You're a funguy :D

I recommend that anyone going to do this puts the car up on a lift, as doing it at knee level is hard work! (Edit: doing it from underneath lying in a pool of used oil is harder - Jon)

So I'm told :wink: Must get you a forensics all-in-one waterproof - it'd suit you 8)

It was hard work but we got there in the end. I was also glad to have regained circulation to my lower extremities, and after my third shower the oil is out of my hair. WooT!

Needed 3 showers? :shock: Dude, you should use Swarfega for shower gel, it's super fresh and exfoliatory! :lol:

Emissions are gonna get o w n e d. They can't stop the Bro-Team?!

D*mn straight, skippy. 8)

Needed 3 showers? :shock: Dude, you should use Swarfega for shower gel, it's super fresh and exfoliatory! :lol:

PMSL

Swarfega ftw!!!!

man, shampoo can't touch engine oil, it's too lame. I ended up using real soap. that cut through it nice!

man, swarfega dispenser in the bathroom would be EEEleet.

it was good effort by both yeah, if I wasnt running so low on blood-sugar, I think some of my suggestions wouldn't have been so lame. I'm glad you were too cold to laugh at me, was nice :D

note to all: engine oil spillages on driveways - crumble up some washing tablets or use washing powder and scrub like mad. Comes up shineeeyyy!!

Good news and bad news:

Got the local garage to fit the new cat and lambda - passed emissions this time :cheers: :D apparently the original lambda was duff and the resultant overfuelling killed the cat (and I always thought it was curiosity did that!)

But it failed the MOT re-test due to a broken driver's door handle :roll: I have a repair kit for both sides on order from daves16v, I'm just awaiting delivery... Also failed on a split CV boot, not sure which side, but that's being replaced now.

So, looks like it just needs a fixed handle, and it can be road legal again :lol:

Then there's road tax due at the end of the month :(

Expensive times, but I'm glad she'll have a new lease of life :wink:

But it failed the MOT re-test due to a broken driver's door handle :roll: I have a repair kit for both sides on order from daves16v, I'm just awaiting delivery...

It's official - daves16v is a legend :)

The repair kit for both door handles was waiting on my doorstep this evening *win!* :lol:

Will fix the driver's side tomorrow for the sake of the MOT, and will do the passenger's side as a precautionary measure in the next few days.

Also have a pair of handle repairs on the way for my good bro, boost monkey, just to save him the hassle! May just be the first mod he does after collecting the new C... 8)

Glad it's all coming together :) You've only had it a few months and it's already been a bit of a rollercoaster, in true Rado fashion :lol:

Dave's handle repair kit is an absolute must for anyone with a C. Mine failed last year on it's driver's handle, but Dave's kit got it through the retest 8)

CV boot fixed, and just fitted the repaired handle... they just need to re-re-MOT it :roll:

It's still at the garage but I had a quick look at the new emissions printout and those bad gases got owned hard! :snipersmile: Numbers to follow...

Just hope that the obviously 'detail oriented' MOT inspector is feeling generous this evening and I don't get a phone call saying "About your car..." :pale:

Is it a whole new MOT as it's been 10 days since the first?

they might charge you re-test rates or something as i doubt the OK stuff has broken.

Emissions results:

Fast idle at 2850rpm:

CO = 0.01% (pass is

HC = 12ppm (pass is

Lambda = 1.01 (pass is >0.97

Natural idle at 880rpm:

CO = 0.01% (pass is

PWNED! :lol:

Whole MOT did cost me about £450 though, but it feels good to have got all those bits sorted and have the car running better than when I bought it last July :D