ProdigalSon

ProdigalSon's G60: MOT pass! *phew*

Collected late bonnet foam matting and a length of sunroof gasket strip from VW this morning... £110 after discount :(

All set for the respray now though, just waiting for my paycheck!

Replaced the gearbox oil with VW stuff yesterday evening, dead easy job, but just beforehand as I drove home from work my gear shift became extremely notchy and resistant :( Unfortunately the new oil didn't fix it :roll: :lol: Seems like I'll have to do a cable inspection/realignment too. Worried that it won't be drivable for tomorrow's mini meet in Oxford... :(

Had to replace the tilting sunroof panel so that the body shop can pull out the shallow dents in the roof when they respray in a couple of weeks' time, and won't have another chance before then 8)

Took most of the day to get all the trim out and back in, but the sunroof repair PDF I downloaded from here was a great help - noted that late trim is a bit different in a few places, but no major issues. Leaving the headlining out for now so they can push out the bumps if necessary, and can remove the black sunroof panel and respray it silver once they have the roof line back how it should be :D will also give me a chance to clean the headlining up, as it's a bit grubby.

Will probs check gear alignment and give it a good wash tomorrow.

My fears were confirmed - although the early sunday morning :morning: gearstick alignment went very well, the clutch stopped disengaging, so I reckon it's a clutch slave or master cylinder failure :roll:

Missed taking my C to the mini meet yesterday :( but took the opportunity to see and photo the others' cars :D

Will bleed the clutch hydraulics very carefully once more before ordering a replacement slave cyl, to make sure it's not my bad technique :lol: and have discovered that we reclaimed a master cyl from the scrapper last weekend :)

Watch this space... :wink:

^^^ or the clutch.

It's still behaving _a lot_ like my 16v did last year when the clutch / diaphragm release plate snapped in half.

New clutch slave cylinder from GSF

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf_DSC6128.jpg[/attachment:20w21jtm]

made no difference, the re-bleed had more froth than a pack of rabid dogs :(

Late yesterday and this afternoon I managed to get the inlet manifold off

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf_DSC6141.jpg[/attachment:20w21jtm]

so that I could have some room to swap the clutch master as well

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf_DSC6144.jpg[/attachment:20w21jtm]

It's been a long job due to tricky manifold bolts (blind fumbling to undo the rear fixings), a rounded FPR bracket bolt :bad-words:

_DSC6140.jpg[/attachment:20w21jtm]Corrado92.pdf_DSC6143.jpg[/attachment:20w21jtm]

and alignment trickiness causing problems with getting the copper hydraulic line and the replacement master cyl to mate properly without risk of threading them :roll:

All hooked up now and ready for a bleed and static test (no engine until I reassemble the inlet!), but not 100% certain that the replacement master is totally OK :? Will find out soon.

Have resigned myself to the possibility of pulling the engine out and sending the rest to the bodyshop... We will see.

Good work! Let's have a round of applause for the Irwins 8)

Found plenty of those fuel magnets on Ebay ;)

I ike the way that close-up of the gripper socket just says " W I N " on it.

Sums it up nicely I think.

[Mr. T]

"Tha's right foo', you come out when i TELL you to come out... biatch"

GNNNNH, GET SOME NUTS!!

[/Mr.T]

*sigh*

And we were doing so well...

Given the difficulty in changing the clutch master cylinder, I decided to order a brand new one (now obsolete, and one of the last few in VW stock...) instead of using the reclaimed unit from the scrapper, and installed it

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf_DSC6179.jpg[/attachment:1wk992ig]

along with a new hydraulic pipe that feeds the clutch slave:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf_DSC6176.jpg[/attachment:1wk992ig]

Turns out that the old pipe was suspect, was damp to the touch and quite likely porous to air :eek: hence the nightmare trying to bleed the line and just getting continuous froth...

The all new system is perfect - totally clear fluid, and eventually I had to watch it come out of the end of the bleed pipe to be sure that anything was moving at all!

So we put the manifold back on, and today I refitted the throttle body, but when I had put the FPR back on and was tightening up the bolts.. #tak# I found that one of the tabs on the fuel rail had snapped off:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf_DSC6184.jpg[/attachment:1wk992ig]

One of the bolts was just hand tight and the other not much more :( Must've been the age of the plastic and the stress of removing/refitting the FPR that did it :roll:

_DSC6187.jpg[/attachment:1wk992ig]

Annoyingly, VW don't have any in stock (although they're not obsolete), and I can't get a replacement before Friday earliest :mad2: Was on a roll and have lost steam now.

Good news is the bodyshop guy is happy to send a flatbed to pick up the car on Saturday if it is not driving by then :clap: So it will still get some cosmetic fixing and TLC :lol:

Grrrr! Nothing's ever simple :( At least it should be a cheap and easy fix- just a tad frustrating!

Yeah, am being a bit more philosophical about it now, because I don't have the pressure of getting it drivable by Saturday morning, and once this is done all of the perishables (non-metal) in the front-end fuel system will have been replaced! :wink: Will need to update my sig then, to reflect my latest refurbishment! :lol:

New fuel rail arrived this morning, but after a brief under-bonnet inspection, I realised that (once again) it's probably an inlet-manifold-out job to get room for manouevre! Not a job for Friday night. :eek:

Other good news is that my 3 inlet manifold gaskets also arrived, so I can put a 'proper' one on after I've done the fuel rail, and have 2 left for the phenolic later in the summer :D

So I'm dropping off the keys for the bodywork repairs and respray tomorrow :clap: and going on hols for 2 weeks on Sunday :tongue: so it'll be April before I have another bash at this :lol:

So I can ring them for April Fool's and get them to do that Candy Pink you've always liked, but just never had the guts to go for?

:camp: :fondle: rainbow.gifdomina.gifcloset.gif

That's right, some of those are international.

New fuel rail arrived this morning, but after a brief under-bonnet inspection, I realised that (once again) it's probably an inlet-manifold-out job to get room for manouevre! Not a job for Friday night. :eek:

Hi prodigalSon.

to access the exhaust manifold for removal is it best to remove the inlet manifold in your opinion?

ta.

dirty, yeah I'd reckon so, there is hardly any clearance behind there unfortunately.

thnks,another job that I relish the prospect of.

:sad:

Yeah, corrado ownership is great!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

p.s. Prodigal is on hols, so feel free to direct his funk my way 8)

Bro, not sure if you're checking this from you holiday spot, but your Irwins came today!

Just about to attempt wishbone bolt removal on the spare subframe!

Might have to dial the guns down a bit, last time I was lifting the 'frame off the floor :shock:

dirtytorque, yes, would recommend taking the throttle body off, which will allow you to remove the inlet manifold more easily, which in turn will give you decent access to the exhaust manifold.

I bought a 6mm hex bit for my 3/8ths square drive ratchet, which is invaluable in removing and refitting the 3 long and 3 short Allen headed bolts that hold the inlet manifold on - I recommend it highly.

Once you have space at the rear of the engine bay, you should be able to remove the nuts from the back of the cylinder head, and the 6 bolts on the downpipe, and although you may have to loosen the engine mounts and rock the engine a little, I reckon the exhaust manifold will come out with a bit of wiggling there (although I have not done this yet).

You'll need new copper nuts to refit the zorst manifold to the cylinder head, and new gaskets, as I think they are single use only.

Hope that helps :wink:

dirtytorqueI reckon the exhaust manifold will come out with a bit of wiggling there (although I have not done this yet).

You'll need new copper nuts to refit the zorst manifold to the cylinder head, and new gaskets, as I think they are single use only.

Hope that helps :wink:

If the studs aren't dead it should wiggle away, but the gasket will be all baked now, so will possibly be holding the manifold to the engine also.

On my golf, I ordered 8 replacement stud threads and 8 bolts, as a few of mine came out of the head with the nuts still on cos they were baked together.

Yes, gaskets are more or less always single use :salute:

Arrived back from 10 days in the States to find my car, all resprayed and looking like new, sat on the drive :clap:

Will get pics up soon, just glad to have got rid of the 3-tone rat look :roll: :lol:

Pretty tired due to long transatlantic flight, but first inspection looks really good - well colour-matched and all the nicks, dents and scrapes fixed 8)

Just need to put the inlet manifold back together and get it running again :wink:

Excellent! Can't wait to see some pics 8) Make sure your little bro doesn't put his sticky little, brake fluid-covered fingers all over it :lol:

Arrived back from 10 days in the States to find my car, all resprayed and looking like new, sat on the drive :clap:

Will get pics up soon, just glad to have got rid of the 3-tone rat look :roll: :lol:

Pretty tired due to long transatlantic flight, but first inspection looks really good - well colour-matched and all the nicks, dents and scrapes fixed 8)

Just need to put the inlet manifold back together and get it running again :wink:

Hey don't knock the Rat look.

:grin:

Pics plz.

:)