Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

N00b alert o_O

Hi guys,

My name's Jon and I'm an engineering student (see sig). I haven't got a 'raddo, I roll in an older dub. Here's a pic of it:

mustangzn9.jpg

Oh wait, that's an old pic...here's a more recent one:

59bffb26af69798d3e97938b9536afe5.jpg

It's atlas grey and not in too bad condition. As you can imagine, It's hard to find on a cloudy day so I haven't driven it for a while :(

I'll probs be loitering around the forums (I'm Prodigal Son's younger brother) and inputting on proper physics / engineering based questions as best I can :D

Not huge plans for the Jetta at the mo, still at uni so really just collecting info and saving up money.

Look forward to getting stuck in!

Cheers,

Jon.

Welcome to the forum!

How are you finding the course? I'm seriously considering going back to college and doing automotive engineering of something similar.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Course isn't going too bad, I'm 24 and have a fair bit of messing about with cars under my belt over the last 6 years so I do alright. Averaged a B+ last year...

Have been thinking of a VR for the Jetta but don't particularly want it nose heavy (Firstly, I know the Raddos came with VRs and are hailed as awesome handlers and Secondly, not looking to start a debate!) so am looking at blown 16vs or perhaps the ubiquitous 20v... but that's another story.

I get roped into playing with Prodigal's G60 anyways (I OWN the tools!!) which is a good laugh and his blue one a few years back was real nice.

It's funny, cos the 1.8 8v in my Jetta looks pretty similar to the G60 lump, although with the obvious exceptions! Was gonna see if I could find out what the differences are, but probs won't bother. Thinking of swapping in a milkfloat motor to double the power sometime soon.

I've done a fair bit of tinkering over the years but I wouldn't call myself experienced in any way. Just work things out as I go along and plod my way through problems as they crop up. Although I've done work for other people and they paid me real money for doing it and their cars are still on the road so I can't be completely hopeless....

I think the G60 engine is a very basic one (certainly by todays standards at least) when the charger is taken off. Which is good because it makes it easy to work with.

Well I hope you get on well with your course and good to have you on board.

Hi and welcome! Have you thought about sticking a 1.8T in it?

I had yeah...it's currently winning being the lighter boosted as standard engine of choice! The Jetta is late spec too so has the handy CE2 electrics :)

but yeah, just trying to work out the real engineering behind it, i.e. lateral acceleration through corners with different engine specs / weights etc.

I've done a fair bit of tinkering over the years but I wouldn't call myself experienced in any way. Just work things out as I go along and plod my way through problems as they crop up. Although I've done work for other people and they paid me real money for doing it and their cars are still on the road so I can't be completely hopeless....

lol!! I'm the same, I'll do something and just hope it doesn't break! I replaced a KR in my mk2 golf in about 6hrs once, that was an adventure. Literally spurred on by the one day crane rental to get it all finished! Got pics somewhere...

I think the G60 engine is a very basic one (certainly by todays standards at least) when the charger is taken off. Which is good because it makes it easy to work with.

Well I hope you get on well with your course and good to have you on board.

Yeah, I didn't realise compression was 8:1 too, seems really low. I wouldn't wanna drive a G60 when the charger goes, prob makes about 70hp!

Yeah thanks, looking forward to getting stuck in too.

There are a couple of people around here that have driven their G60s with the charger taken off. As you'd expect I don't think it's a very exciting ride.... :lol:

lol yeah!

if i was being a super geek, I prob have the equations somewhere to work out the engine output..

_if_ i was a geek.

My mum had several Jettas. She was in a serious crash in one. Someone hit her and her car did a forward+sideways somersault in the air, and landed back on it's wheels. All the glass had fallen out or dropped into the doors so it didn't break on her. She walked away without a scratch. Great cars. So don't be afraid to drop a real JETta engine in it and give it some power... :lol:

omg, my mum 'wrote' this one off too!

she hit a pothole in reading and the LBJ came out of the wishbone and the wheel tried to do the folding under trick like on a DeLorean.

one wishbone, LBJ and driveshaft later and she was back on the road. So I kinda inherited it really.

Never seen another atlas jetta too although there's tons of golfs about.

problem i have is that my theory and knowledge outweighs my budget and skills! Might have to make it a long-termer.

tbh, might even turn into a Uni course project car! who knows.

Welcome aboard mate, you've already posted on my oil pump thread, was literally on the phone to the stealers a second ago. I noticed in your sig you are interested in thermodynamics, well thats good news for me, I've already done some but am expecting to be covering some more over the next year, so I know where to come for help now... :D