Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

special suspension tools

i have read up on changing the suspension on my corrado and recon i can handle it, i have been advised to get new top mounts when doing it as well so have got them ordered.

i realise you need a deep socket to undo the nut in the engine bay but doesnt this need an alen key aswell? and also some one mentioned a special slotted socket for removing slotted nut that holds down spring top plate on front suspension leg?

can anyone help me understand more about these tools? etc? do GSF sell them or can anyone recomend them to me or take a photo so i can see what they look like many thanks

The slotted socket is only needed for castelated nuts on MK2's

All you should need is a 14mm spark plug socket and a 7mm brake allen key but check these before starting as some nuts are different (22mm instead of 21mm and some new shocks have 6mm keys)

You will also need spring compressors.

The slotted socket is only needed for castelated nuts on MK2's

All you ....

depends, if you mean mk2 'style' suspension, the 16v and G60 corrados have the slotted nut up to 1992.

It's not a bad idea to get a garage to buzz the top nut undone for you with an air gun, rather than getting the special tools to hold the susp shaft still.

Myself and Prodigal used the following when doing suspension on the late Audi plus my old valver:

7mm Sykes allen key (looks like a gian L with a rubber handle, available from Halfords

22mm drop ring spanner (for clearing turret) with some scaffolding on the end to get leverage up to approx 1m.

you'll have to twist them in opposite directions or get someone to hold the allen key whilst the spanner+scaffolding is turning.

a socket would be amazing.... if I could have found one with a hex external drive... all mine are round, hence no grip for turning externally (and you can't use a ratchet cos you need to put the allen key down the middle!)

spring compressors also needed.

with regards the thin metally bit, we used needle noses but it was a super PITA to do. Special tool recommended here. Or a faaaat feeler guage :D

yep my 91 g60 definately had the slotted nut, also an air ratchet is a very quick and easy way to remove the top nut, takes about 1 second and no bleeding knuckles.

sorry not to clarify guys i have a 1994 2.0 16v corrado. by the sonuds of it i only need this top nut tool so will hopefully have a go this weekend and see what happens!!

You could always grip the socket with a big pair of molegrips then you have access to the allen key socket thingie. Worked for me 8)

You could always grip the socket with a big pair of molegrips then you have access to the allen key socket thingie. Worked for me 8)

That worked?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Either you are _seriously_ beef or your top mount bolts were dangerously loose imo!

That worked?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Either you are _seriously_ beef or your top mount bolts were dangerously loose imo!

Have done that with mine too... Good way to get it undone. Couldn't use a drop headed spanner on the early top mounts.

Wow.

Fair play, maybe I should stop playing with 80s cars and their extra 5-10 years of rust!

How strange that a early corrados top mounts are so much different to a Jetta 8v (1990) and an Audi 80 (1992?), maybe the rrados have mk3 top mounts on them?

digging this thread up again, as i'm about to try changing suspension myself.

was about to buy these bits

14mm spark plug socket

7mm brake allen key 7mm Sykes allen key

22mm drop ring spanner

already got springs compressors, will i need anything else?

its a 1995 VR, and i'm changing suspension all round, top mounts all round, ball joints, and as many bushes as i can.

I have the sykes key, it's awesome.

you'll need a ball joint removal tool for the hubs possibly, if they're really stuck into the hubs?

Interesting thread as I've just ordered some new suspension and was planning to do this myself too.

Anything further required other than 3corsameal's list above?

Are spring compressors expensive btw? I'm going to attempt to fit some FK Konig Sports coilovers so will I actually need any?

Also, having read loads via the search, will I need to cut down the new bump stops I've ordered like with the H&R Koni T/A setup, or is this not required with coilovers (sorry, no idea when it comes to suspension...yet! :)

Dutch

if youve got a mate in the trade or youre friendly with the local mechanic get them to buzz the top nuts off with an air gun or electric impact gun, the first time i fitted a set of coillies without one trying to do it by hand with a mate on his car i had a swan neck spanner with a 1m+ extension and the 7mm allen key with another 1m+ extension on it working it for an hour plus and it didnt budge, i went and got a mates impact gun and it was off 2 seconds later, and it was only a mk4 polo that had done 20k :shock:

the only other thing to check is if you need the tool with the lug on for the funny shaped nuts belowe the top munt nuts, gsf do a set of three which covers all vag cars that need them i think for something like £10-15

you definately want spring compressors as if you undo the retaining nuts without them the spring pressure can really hurt, it may even do permenent damage like blind you if they hit you wrong.

other than that standard tools, maybe a bigish bar for the hub nuts etc, but there not hard to do.

hth

Ash

Dont suppose you fancy taking some pictures and making a how-to article do ya 3corsa ?

I have same car and want to do the same jobs. Just not quite confident enough to do it....

yes.....i plan to get some photos

gotta get all the bits together first so hopefully doing this within 4 weeks