Sign in to follow this  
livi1982

New Wheels knocking

Just bought a set of borbet 16's off the internet and fitted them myself. They look amazing and they were close to rubbing, especially on the front but seem alright. There does seem to be a slight knocking coming from the rear offside, only happens above 10mph and knocking gets faster as I do. Haven't taken it too fast yet. Got up and fitted them before my work. Seems to be worse when cornering. Is it just the suspension getting use to the new riding height or something??

Wouldn't have thought there should be any knocking noises, somethings fouling somewhere. What width/offset are they?

They look well tucked in but its hard to tell for sure from the flat angle of the photo...

Size is 7,5J x 16 ET 30 PCD 4 x 100 with 225/45/ZR16 tyres. The tyres are quite big for the wheels but they seem fine. Would think the front would be more likely to rub. The guy who sold me them said they came of a G60. So they should fir my valver fine. Looking throu previous postings I did notice my exhaust was needing the rubber replaced but the knocking is coming from the other side of the car. See if this photo helps more.

Yeah the tyres do look a bit big!

Wouldnt have thought that would cause the knocking though. The width and offset are just about perfect...

Tidy looking set of A's though.... 8)

Size is 7,5J x 16 ET 30 PCD 4 x 100 with 225/45/ZR16 tyres. The tyres are quite big for the wheels but they seem fine. Would think the front would be more likely to rub. The guy who sold me them said they came of a G60. So they should fir my valver fine. Looking throu previous postings I did notice my exhaust was needing the rubber replaced but the knocking is coming from the other side of the car. See if this photo helps more.

Wrong tyres there, you should have 195. Here's a good article about tyres and alloys

http://www.torquevw.com/how_to_guides/general_alloy_wheels/general_alloy_wheels.shtml

http://www.torquevw.com/how_to_guides/general_alloy_wheels/general_alloy_wheels_part2.shtml

The knocking doesn't sound good, could be a few things.

What suspension do you have?

What spacers are you using, as you should be using at least a 3/5mm spacer?

What bolts are you using?

The sound has developed from a knocking, realised when I was looking in my mirror when driving that one was wobbling slightly. So need to sort that. Might try putting the bolts that were on the car on instead of the ones that came with the wheels. The other side is grinding when I corner, sometimes, but I noticed the exhaust was loose because of a corroded exhaust rubber so it might be that?? Remember thinking the suspension was close when I fitted them. It's just got the original suspension, was gonna see what wheels looked like before I changed that. Looks like I might need to fork out for new tyres. Things are never as easy as you hope. The boy who sold me them said it wouldn't need spacers?? Take it I need them regardless of if I change the tyres. Spacers would probably be cheaper than new wheels. They totally change the look of the car, i love it. :lol:

The sound has developed from a knocking, realised when I was looking in my mirror when driving that one was wobbling slightly. So need to sort that. Might try putting the bolts that were on the car on instead of the ones that came with the wheels.

STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR, you could destory a hub very easily with a wheel wobbling and if the wheel comes off well...

Remember thinking the suspension was close when I fitted them. It's just got the original suspension, was gonna see what wheels looked like before I changed that.

As long as it's not touching it should be fine. I have about 5mm between mine.

Looks like I might need to fork out for new tyres. :

Yep

The boy who sold me them said it wouldn't need spacers?? Take it I need them regardless of if I change the tyres. Spacers would probably be cheaper than new wheels.

I wouldn't listen to someone who had the wrong tyres on about whether you need spacers or not. Get some, thet are very cheap, try and get hub centric ones.

Wrong tyres there, you should have 195. Here's a good article about tyres and alloys

not sure why you're saying he should have 195 on a 7.5J wheel when that is the width for the standard valver 6.5j rim, that will be noticeably stretched. most people on 7.5 will be running 205s, on 17" this is mostly to avoid rubbing while maintaining decent sidewall height otherwise they could go 215 easily.

livi1982 , if you're not looking for a stretched look on your tyres then 215/40/16 or 205/45/16 will be a better size.

LOL! It does worry me when I read things like this. Tyres, wheels, brakes. They are all vital but so many people treat them like fashion accessories with no understanding of their fundamentals!

225/45/16s are nearly 6% bigger diameter than they should be, aswell as being 3 sizes too wide! And wobbling?! How can you see a rear wheel wobbling on your own car whilst driving it? :lol: You must have been leaning out of the window or something?

I have two hunches, 1) the tyres are rubbing the struts at the back, or 2) the wheels aren't VW centre bore and are running off centre. Either way, they are clearly not right for the car! Get them off ASAP before you do some damage to your car, or yourself!

And that concludes my lecture for this afternoon

Grandad

How can you see a rear wheel wobbling on your own car whilst driving it? :lol: You must have been leaning out of the window or something?

As well as tyres and brakes most cars are fitted with mirrors. :shock:

I'm not driving about with the wheels wobbling everywhere I was just after some advice before I went and sorted them out for new tyre etc.

I thought the idea of a forum was to gain knowledge, not so folk can take the piss because you lack it?? :notworthy:

not sure why you're saying he should have 195 on a 7.5J wheel when that is the width for the standard valver 6.5j rim, that will be noticeably stretched. most people on 7.5 will be running 205s, on 17" this is mostly to avoid rubbing while maintaining decent sidewall height otherwise they could go 215 easily.

livi1982 , if you're not looking for a stretched look on your tyres then 215/40/16 or 205/45/16 will be a better size.

All depends on what kind of look you're going for, with the wheels you have a stretch is going to look sweet. If you don't want any stretch then 205/45/16 would be best.