Sign in to follow this  
tonedef

VR6 cutting out as soon as it starts

Typical, I bought an S3 to replace the VR, but then had a change of heart, sold the S3 and kept the Corrado. Just over a week later it's up to it's old tricks again:

Starts up no problem, runs for 2 seconds and cuts out, been trying the last 30 minutes to start it but no joy. Anyone got any ideas as I really need to fix this cos I'm off to Saudi at the weekend leaving me wife with a car that refuses to play :(

I've had this problem....

Check Fuse 16, think it's 15 amp, might be blown. It controls the spoiler, sunroof, glovebox light and "warning lamps" and bizaarly keeps the engine running. I'd guffed my interior light up which blew mine. but it could be your spoiler on it's way out. Alternatively it could be your key or your transponder coil if it's a late vr. I've got a transponder coil if you want to try it.

I've had this problem....

Check Fuse 16, think it's 15 amp, might be blown. It controls the spoiler, sunroof, glovebox light and "warning lamps" and bizaarly keeps the engine running. I'd guffed my interior light up which blew mine. but it could be your spoiler on it's way out. Alternatively it could be your key or your transponder coil if it's a late vr. I've got a transponder coil if you want to try it.

Thanks for the quick reply Toad, checked fuse 16, yes it's 15amp but unfortunately it's fine.

It is a late VR, the inspection date on the sticker says 18th May 95 so it's one of the last ones built, I'd love to try the transponder coil but with the best will in the world I doubt it'd get here until Friday earliest and I leave the coutry for five/six months on Saturday morning, I'll have to try to buy one from VW first thing tomorrow.

If it's a clean engine stop after a few seconds, then it's almost 100% immobiliser related - have a search and you should find more info on what causes issues.

If it coughs and splutters and eventually dies then it's probably MAF related.

PM me your address, I'll put it in the post first thing on next day delivery if you want. VW probably won't have one in. If it works, great, if not send it back somewhen.

I'd definitely try vagcom on it's ass.

Are all the other fuses ok? Karmann seemed to move them around a bit. How about the fuel pump relay? You can check fuel is being delivered by pulling the pipe off and getting someone to turn the key on and try to start the car.

Could be your immobiliser too.

It's a real clean stop, definitely electrical, if you've managed to get any revs before the cut you see the tacho needle drop straight to zero, not run down with the revs. No coughing etc.

It used to do it before very occasionally but would normally go if left a couple of minutes on a real bad day or second third try usually. Tonight it's just refusing point blank, shame really, we had a table booked for Tapas and now I've got the lower dash out. My wife and kids are going out in the Ka to fetch take away!

PM me your address, I'll put it in the post first thing on next day delivery if you want. VW probably won't have one in. If it works, great, if not send it back somewhen.

I'd definitely try vagcom on it's ass.

Are all the other fuses ok? Karmann seemed to move them around a bit. How about the fuel pump relay? You can check fuel is being delivered by pulling the pipe off and getting someone to turn the key on and try to start the car.

Could be your immobiliser too.

PM on it's way in a minute, thanks for that, vagcom coming in a minute!

Update: Transponder coil seems like a good bet, unplugged it, plugged it back in again and she's fired up. Ticking over nicely right now :lol: Just don't know if it's a loose connection or a dodgy transponder?

Hmm, sounds familiar

I think you can clean the connections on the end of the coil wire, where it plugs into the box (under the dash)

Apparently that helps

I didnt know that at the time, and went and got my keys re-coded, as I thought there was a problem with the transponder in the keys. That didn't fix the problem.

I then bought a whole new transponder receiver coil, and that did fix the problem.

But it was probably just a dirty connector all along..

Just got back from the office of postal goodness. The coil is on special delivery so will be with you by 1pm tommorrow. I have heard spraying wd 40 into the connector helps.