Sign in to follow this  
Jonesmark12

Late and early Wings

Quick question for pep's in the know - my drivers side wing doesnt seem to fit flush against the bonnet and the drivers door. Where the door trim would go it is raised by aprox 20mm.

The car is a early model - off the top of peoples heads, would that 20mm gap probably be caused by a late/VR wing being put on?

If so, has anyone got an early wing for sale, close to Herts, N London. which i can pick up asap?!

Cheers Guys

The 20mm is actually more like 5mm which explains Mark's appalling parking ;)

He also needs a load of other things after giving the car the once over before it dissapears to the bodyshop.. but I'm sure you'll post a wanted ad for those too eh?

It shouldn't make a difference to how an early or late wing would fit to the doors as the doors are the same between early and late!

The only places it would show is if you had an early bonnet and a late wing.

Sounds more like it's not been fitted correctly

It shouldn't make a difference to how an early or late wing would fit to the doors as the doors are the same between early and late!

The only places it would show is if you had an early bonnet and a late wing.

Sounds more like it's not been fitted correctly

Er, as the late bonnets can be fitted to early cars without changing the wings that's poo.

The late wings are wider at the wheel arch to accomodate the VR's wider track but as you said the doors are identical.

There is a lot of movement on the outer 'mud' wing, you need to undo the bolts along the top, the nut inside the A post, the bolt onto the A post, the bolt coming up from underneath the wing to the A post, the 2 slam panel ones and 2 that hide underneath the side edge of the bumper. to enable the wing to be adjusted. You are looking for a gap of 5mm between the edge of the bonnet and the wing along its length and then a gap of 3.5mm between the top of the wing and the windscreen surround frame (that 45 degree cutover piece)

The wing will be 'glued' in with some sealant, heat this up with a hairdryer to get it to loosen up a bit then you will probably have to cut the wing off.

Problem is that it follows the door all the way to where the Bump Strip is, then it's 5mm (ish) wider!

Bonnet shut's ok, as is the A pillar gap and the door gap just the bottom 1/4 below the rubber strip seems to stick out further than the door! :?

There's a lot of adjustment in the wings. The bently manual shows you how to do it. Does it actually sit further out?

Another reason could be *whispers* poor accident damage repair.

The body shop that is spraying the car can probably get it sitting on the beast a bit better, I'd imagine.

Toady, you may be right fella.

The gap between the bonnet and wing is too large at the moment. although on the passenger side the early wing and late bonnet fit perfect.

As Jon says, it matches the door fine until your eyes draw to the bottom quarter - then its off.

Starting to wonder if the wing is the correct piece. - i know that the arches are wider on late wings - but is it dramatically wider. just may get some people to look at it in a mo, and see if its just a bit of eye trickry

I've been trying to work out the best way to measure it... suppose use a tape mesure from the top edge, and use eyesight, guess work and newts tails to measure how far out it sticks. I can have a measure up of mine, but you should be able totell by comparing the two wings. Can't remember the difference, but I think it's about 10-20mm each side. so not a huge difference.

Helpfully, Mr Bently gave me this diagram earlier...

Edit. Which doesn't give you the correct gaps... hang on....

Maybe the part that is glued needs heating and moving a touch??

Actually. everything I've posted or said, was said by Yan earlier. He's cleverererer and quickerererer than me :(

Actually. everything I've posted or said, was said by Yan earlier. He's cleverererer and quickerererer than me :(

When it come to transponder coils you're my hero though :lol:

Maybe the part that is glued needs heating and moving a touch??

But you put a up a nice picture that I could not be arsed to scan in and your home made sausage is very nice (Or in other words bring some to E38, the sausage that is ;))

and your home made sausage is very nice (Or in other words bring some to E38, your sausage that is ;))
:shock:

Easy Chap this is a public forum!

and your home made sausage is very nice (Or in other words bring some to E38, your sausage that is ;))
:shock:

Easy Chap this is a public forum!

:D

your home made sausage is very nice (Or in other words bring some to E38, the sausage that is ;))

Course I will, I've got mother on standby with the sausage machine... Want anything else? Might bring a few burgers too.

Can you bring some piri piri?

Yum yum, sausages and piri piri for breakfast while we all laugh about people running round half naked the night before...

OI! get a room you two! :lol:

Why you worried you will keep you up all night? :shock:

I had forgotten about the Piri, Piri sauce. Will make a note...

..done

OI! get a room you two! :lol:

I'm sure a tent will suffice..... Anyway, you're just jealous :p

I had forgotten about the Piri, Piri sauce. Will make a note...

..done

Yay! Yum Yum. :D