Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Golf Mk2 Buying info wanted..

Okidoki, im on the look out for a half decent Mk2 Golf to use a runner so im after any info from guys who have, have had them..

What are the differences with the later ones? Trim differences between Driver and GTI? Belt changes at what mileages? Areas that should be looked at when buying? Anything that costs a bomb to replace? 8v or 16v? Known rust areas? PAS and electrics on what model?

You get the idea guys, anything that will give me a better idea when buying, im only looking at spending 700-800 quid but there seems to be loads about that look ok and will do the job nicely..

Thanks in advance..

Can't help specifically Goldie, but they are fantastic cars. I enjoy driving my 1990 8v Gti as much as the Corrado VR6. Mines got a suspect clutch and a tired exhaust system but its great. I'd take it anywhere, in fact it gets more comments than the Corrado. My interior is 17 years old but it looks like its never been sat in. So practical, so enjoyable to drive, so capable, even by todays standards.

The mk2 does have a great reputation and i think they look great hence the reason for the choice, with current prices and availability i think id be silly not to..

Anyone got any technical experiences or answers to some of the questions above, i know there are plenty of folk on here who are experienced with these cars..

Defo check underneath the thing. Last mk2 I bought looked mint until you looked underneath. There was so much corrosion it was unreal. The wish bone on the passenger side had fused with the ball joint into one big lump of rust. I couldn't bleed the brakes at the front because the bleed valves just rounded off. I would check the front calipers are in good nick. Wish bones and ball joints are easy to replace. Other than that the engines in mk2s are surprisingly indestructible in my experience. The 8 valve GTi in particular is bullet proof. And if they do go wrong they are laughably easy to work on. Even for me!

As for service intervals and things just get a Haynes off of ebay mate.

As for service intervals and things just get a Haynes off of ebay mate.

Good idea..

What brakes does the 1800 have, is it th 256mm thats fitted to the Rado 16v with Drums at the rear?

Hi mate here goes,

MK2's are good solid cars but getting on a bit, check for rust on wings, floor etc.

Cambelts are due at 80k on most models.

PAS is a must and is only standard on late 16v's theres plenty of 8v's with it youve just gotta find one.

8 or 16v? totally up to you they both have thier plus points just try a few and see what you think.

Later cars have a better spec usually, also the wiring was updated from 90 on.

MK2's suffer badly with seized calipers especially the rears.

Hope that helps!

Graham

The valvers are 256 same as rado up front. I may be wrong but the 8v I think had 239s. All mk2 GTis that I've seen have been discs all round.

Nice one guys, appreciated.. Keep it coming in..

Im gonna try and get as late a one as possible TBH with the money available, am scouring Ebay,E38 etc for the right car, hoping to start having a look at some examples next week when i get back down south..

Check scuttle for rust and on the front wing where the aerial goes in also for rust (unless it has a beesting), bootlid also, i'd also check under the carpets to see if it's wet/damp as the door card foil will most likely of been ripped and it's letting water in, not sure what else off top of my head! All i know is i wish they made a mk2 VR6 from the factory, thats my ultimate VW!!!

Oh yeah, that's a good point. On the mk2 and early mk3 they never galvanized the tailgate so they are obvioulsy very prone to rust. Um, I'm seeing a pattern.... Rust, basically just look for rust! :lol:

Mk2 :) great choice, I've had 3 in the past, all very different but they were all 16v

An E reg campaign model, 1 previous owner, 29k and as new, this was only 3 yrs ago

J reg run out model 9 previous owners, 70k and mint and an H reg Oak green 140k, 12 owner lowered, tuned heap of scrap that went like brown stuff of a shovel and probably the most fun car I've ever owned :lol:

Rust is the main concern as already mentioned, check in boot obviously, fuel flap/filler very pron to rust and around wiper holes also the earlier ones dont have power steering which is really only a problem when it comes to parking.

There's quite a nice one on scottishvag for sale just now with some very nice extra's, ie half leather rallye int 8)

I'll add a link later, HTH, cheers, Bill

some pics

Bill those 3 look really nice particularly the last one, appreciate the link to the one on ScottishVag..

Im quite excited actually at the idea of getting a Golf tbh, a huy i used to work with had a mint Oak Green big bumper one and he took me out for a run in it and was brilliant, not slow by any means and the typical VW big car feel, nice and solid, nimble but planted at high speed, i appreciate ill not be ending up with anything as good as that or as Bill 3 beauty but itll do me nicely...

Had another look at this, a bit more than you were looking to spend but still nice all the same

http://www.scottishvag.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19423

Does it have to be a 3dr as you'll pick a 5 door up cheaperas they are not so sought after

My old Oak Green was a great car and i only paid £1400 with all the work done by the previous owner who was looking for a quick sale :D bargain for me

The first pic is pretty poor due to it being a scan of the original but the condition of the car was amazing, I only sold it because it was really to good to use, the guy who bought it still has it and uses it as his daily runner :shock: has over 50k on the clock now :(

I really would be looking for solid 3 door TBH, they look so much better..

That on in the link is lovely Bill, slightly over budget, its double the budget.. :)

Glad its of some use.

With you on the 3 door option, the 5 door just looks odd on a MkII Golf and spoils the lines.

Got to the point with mine where wanted a bit more poke, and the only options with the 8V and 16V are engine swaps or serious engine work, and it just wasn't financially viable at the time.

So sold it and bought a 2.8i V6 Capri, DOH! :(