Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Split Boot?

found this on car, and not sure how long its been like that, would this of led to dodgy steering? am about to replace a whole load of stuff, and wondered if what it protects may need replacing?

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

Inner CV... should be ok to just replace the boot depending on how long it's been like that... (may have been a stone ripping it if you went thru any flooding?)

Clean all the old grease out and replace as it may hold grit...

Looks more like a steering rack gaiter to me. You might be lucky but if it's taken grit in there with it then most likely the racks going to be goosed. Had the same on mine a few years ago and put a new rack in, it's leaking again now so guess I'm ready for another, joy of joys!

is the steering rack separate from the column and is it a big job to do?

The steering rack separates from the column to allow removal. I didn't fit my last one as I was out of the country at the time but I believe that maybe the sub frame has to be lowered. Sure someone else will be able to confirm this.

Why are you dropping the rack off?!

Just remove the track rod end, slide the old boot off, slide a new one on, refit track-rod end, job is done. If your rack was shafted it would either be pissing power steering fluid everywhere or it would be notchy. Just replace the boots now and see how you go.

i think thats what i'm going to do now, as soon as i have all the bits i need. hopefully i won't need a new rack

i';ve joined CCGB to get discount from the dealers as i'm buying so much.

Thought you said in your first post that the steering was dodgy, don't see that being just down to a split boot. I'd have a good look at it to be sure.

yes the steering is very weird at the moment, thats why i'm fed up and about to spend all my hard earned money sorting it out

the garage told me a boot was split and a rear shock is leaking, and that the top mounts need doing.

so i'm hoping to buy

-full suspension kit & ARB's

-Replace top mounts (are these front & rear)?

-ball joints

-was told get new wishbones as these have the bushes?

bascially whatever can be renewed while car is in bits i'd rather do it now, so any suggestions i'm all up for hearing.

i just need to get a definative list written up, then start sourcing all these bits. things like bushes etc, i don't even know how many, did just plan to go to the dealers and ask them while studying the diagrams

am about to replace these steering boots, and do i need a certain type of grease or any at all?

not sure where i need it

It's been a bad year for steering rack gaitors. Easy swap though, and cheap from the dealer (dealer ones look much nicer quality than aftermarket too).

i already got mine from the dealers, £18 each with two clips :!

they seem crappy as well, old and white, not very nice rubber

i already got mine from the dealers, £18 each with two clips :!

they seem crappy as well, old and white, not very nice rubber

You wuz had, mine were heavyweight ultra-flexible black rubber gaitors. Very nice indeed!

i wouldn't think the dealers would do that?

You might either have been given the wrong bits, or they switched suppliers!

they have a VW/Audi stamp on, they just seem a little old, but they may be fine, i don't know what they normally look like.

this is what i've gathered so far....just need alot more bits from VW to get this steering sorted

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

they have a VW/Audi stamp on, they just seem a little old, but they may be fine, i don't know what they normally look like.

Oh they look the same as mine did. Don't worry about the powder on the surface, feel the weight and flexibility of the gaiter, they're nice quality parts those.