Sign in to follow this  
Dub_nut_g60

Oil Pressure Problem - choices, choices, choices!

Hi guys

My oil pressure light and buzzer came on the other night while driving down the motorway with no warning, in a panic i knocked it out of gear and it stopped going off, found it it only comes on between 2,500 and 3,500 RPM.

I have just investigated a little, no buzzer when cold, or when driving, but it started to go off as soon as oil temp was over 88 degrees.

I havent been able to get the prssure tested yet, but does this point to a knackered switch? or could it be more serious?

I assume i reall y shouldnt drive it all the time the buzzer could be going off!

Thanks in advance

Andy

In other words you want the members of the forum to tell you if the pressure is *really* low, or you just have a faulty sensor, to make you feel better? Come on, be realistic, without real pressure readings we have less idea than you do!

FWIW I believe there's a separate oil pressure sensor for the idle speed and mid-revs ranges, so it's most likely you just have a faulty sensor, but come on, we can't second guess what's going on in your engine if you can't!

In other words you want the members of the forum to tell you if the pressure is *really* low, or you just have a faulty sensor, to make you feel better? Come on, be realistic, without real pressure readings we have less idea than you do!

FWIW I believe there's a separate oil pressure sensor for the idle speed and mid-revs ranges, so it's most likely you just have a faulty sensor, but come on, we can't second guess what's going on in your engine if you can't!

No, obviously you have takne it the wrong way! I was never expecting anyone to say exactly what the problem is.

What i would of liked was for someone to say either 'No dont drive it until you have the pressure checked (which is what i expect)

Or - it does sound like a dead sensor so dont worry too much.

Impossible to say, isn't it, really? If you're worried about it, don't drive it until you can get the pressure tested!

Would I carry on driving if my oil pressure light was on? Only if it went out in the next few seconds..!

the buzzer my justbe you pressure swith so id get a replacment from gsf, and if the buzzer still comes on the pump may be weak or the you are due an oil change although i dnt knw why the buzzer would come of if the oil had thinned to much (and that a very long break between ur last oil change) them switchs are knwn to mess up mine failed in such that i had oil pouring out of it even though it looked ok

id drive it to gsf buy thepart and change it there then fingers crossed problem solved

Im going to change the switches first of all, but have been onto VW and they have said they have 4 different switches

Blue - 0.25 Bar

Grey - 0.9 Bar

Back - 1.4 Bar

White - 1.8 Bar

Now one of the switches has a black cap on it so ill be needing a black one obviously! but the other has no coloured cap on it at all, does anyone know which one will be needed for a 1992, J plate G60?

You need 028 919 081 H (superseding 028 919 081 D on 01/03/2007) which is blue and rated at 0.25 bar (pressure to open contact) and this replaces your brown switch which is 056 919 081 C and is rated at 0.3 bar. The other switch you need is 056 919 081 (superseding 056 919 081 E on 01/04/2007), is white and rated at 1.8 bar (pressure to close contact) and this number supersedes 056 919 081 C but this was still rated at 1.8 bar.

So blue 028 919 081 H and white 056 919 081.

Thanks Crasher

I assume i ignore that ignore the current one being black!

And do they go a certain way round (i.e. which one shoudl go closer to the block and which one should go almost in the middle of the filter housing?)

The white oil pressure switch is on the oil filter housing (yellow wire) and the brown switch (blue/black wire and now a blue switch) is on the charger oil feed outlet on the head. The oil filter housing also holds the oil temperature sender.