Sign in to follow this  
James sprinter

Corrado Dilema, Thoughts Please!

After two corrados and many years of corrado ownership I have a bit of a dilema.

I've recently changed jobs and just buying a run down house. I always liked having a old sports car because I don't do many miles, but the new job is further away and I'd have to put more miles on the car. Furthermore the house I'm buying is in need of complete renovation and theres no way I'm putting any stuff for the tip or building materials in the immaculate interior! :shock:

Luckily enough I have a fairly spacious garage at this new house so what I'm thinking of doing is getting a daily runner for going to work / tip etc and keeping the corrado as a second car for when its dry and the sun shines!

I guess theres a fair few people on here that are doing just that kind of thing with the some tasty VR6's, Mine's a very tastefully modified 16V, but what considerations do I have to think about?

I know I'd still have to pay for tax, servicing, MOT (although it will be even lower miles and dry). The big unknown for me is insurance, do any companies look compasionatly on this situation? Do any companies let you have one insurance policy on two cars - one higher mileage and one very low and mostly locked away?

What are peoples personal experiences with doing this? Is it financially viable or just a luxury for those that can afford it? Are there any other things that I might need to consider?

Mk3 golf mate. I just picked up a 1.4CL with a years MOT for 350 notes as a daily whilst I do up my G60. And it's lovely, despite only having 59 bhp. Which after the rado feels like 4 bhp and half a torque :lol:. £20 a month insurance and cheap tax. I think I could easily afford to run both and I earn slave wages. Mk3 golfs are good because they are very reliable in my experience and cheap because they are not very saught after. This is my third one now.

Oh, and on the insurance side of it you can insure on multi car policies but they are quite expensive. Your best bet is to have two policies, one for each car. And go comp on both. Third party fire and theft is often more expensive on old bangers these days than fully comp.

as its over 15 years old you should be able to put the rado on a classic car policy (assuming your over 21, limited milage and you dont build up no claims) but theyre really cheap. and if youve got a daily youll be getting the no claims off that on a normal fully comp policy.

HIC quoted me a LOT less than im currently paying (no mods) with direct line to put the passat on a classic car policy and with all the mods i want to do on it declared, but being a daily it wasnt really practical. Not sure of the service side of things with HIC either but just using it as an example.

Sure I saw an advert for insure a second car in the family cheap recently sorry can't remember who although it was on TV (not that I could be much more vague I know!) I'll have a think!

Sure I saw an advert for insure a second car in the family cheap recently sorry can't remember who although it was on TV (not that I could be much more vague I know!) I'll have a think!

Was it Admiral by any chance?

Phoned them after seeing an advert but the price worked out at being more than having 2 seperate policies :(

If it helps- I have insured my Corrado (94 16v) on a classic policy, I have a maximum 3k miles per year (it is a second car) and it cost £160 , this included a good discount for being a member of the CCGB.

Do a lot of searching online, and maybe try some of the smaller insurance companies.

HTH

Rich.