Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

So how old do you have to be to look a 'little silly'....

Although I'm surprised that a few of my 'elderly' friends havn't already chipped in on this thread, I'd like to say that I find it actually quite insulting that the OP is wondering if he looks a little bit silly racing around in a Corrado.

You might be feeling like it's time to give up on life and get yer pipe & slippers ordered at a mere 33 years old, but I certainly don't feel like that and I'm a hell of a lot older than you. You need a nice comfy Avensis TDi estate matey :)

LOL Now that is not what I was saying at all, I 'think' I started this thread because it was all about other peoples perceptions of you driving the C. Same way I perceived an older gentleman the other day of indeterminate age as being perhaps a 'little sad' Only because he happens to still own the original Mk2 golf gti that he bought 22 years ago, keeps the mileage down to 3k a year, polishes it every weekend oh and has a pony tail! Now you could say that is 'cool' but I think deep down we all know that it is not and I was a little worried I would slowly start the metamorphosis into him!:lol:

Not saying i should get a boring car, just something a little more modern. Would a 3.0 Z4 with aftermarket induction, exhaust and CSL alloys be pipe and slippers, hmmmm I'm just not sure. Not sure about much today, perhaps I am having a midlife crisis, better cancel that hair cut...

Agree with John, and I'm past the half century. I don't honestly care about what people think as I regard myself as an enthusiast and maybe you should be thinking along the same lines old boy Lol! As for TDi's - fantastic, my daily is a Golf Gt 170 and I can see where you're coming from with the Polo but the Corrado is still a very special car to drive and always will be :)

Nice thread!

Speaking for myself (being closer to the 40 mark than 30!), the Corrado is a really special car. Right from the first time I drove one back in 1995 I was in love. Mind you it was a special day organised my the Grantham VW dealer with all the demonstrators up from Milton Keynes for test drives. Looking down the list of cars to try was exciting enough, but seeing a Corrado VR6 on the list was the best! Give them your driving license and they gave you the keys.

Anyway, my friend and I took the C out around the 'Pre-set' route and trashed the living daylights out of it. The grinning didn't stop for days!

Then if you get bored of just having a standard Corrado you could always put a turbo on it and scare yourself silly every day like I do :lol:

Keep it, enjoy it while you can, it's a rare and unique machine.

Keep it, enjoy it while you can, it's a rare and unique machine.

Second that. For all it's faults and good points there is not another car like it, and there never will be.

At the age of 31, I don't feel silly driving my Corrado which I have had for 9 years. That's not to say though that it won't change as I get older, cos I might feel silly when I cant manage in and out the seats cos they are so low down and my husbands needs to push me from the passenger side to help lol !!

I have no plans to sell it and instead, have spent a lot of money on it so that it will hopefully be around for many years to come.

I hope to have kids in the future and I would prefer to struggle getting the kids in and out the Corrado rather than sell it for something more practical.

I guess there will come an age though when I will move on and buy something else......it will still be a Volkswagen though (and the sports model), but I hope its not for a long while yet!

Oh and I forgot that my 4 year old daughter always wants to go out in the Corrado, she wants one when shes old enough, as long as we can paint it pink :lol:

Oh and I forgot that my 4 year old daughter always wants to go out in the Corrado, she wants one when shes old enough, as long as we can paint it pink :lol:

I think it's probably fair to say that if you keep a Corrado long enough you actually start to regress back towards your childhood, as proven by (a) my impending "performance" rebuild (b) CrazyDave turbocharging his Corrado at an age when a Passat estate would be the family choice © rumours reaching me that A1VR6 has been spotted exceeding the speed limit occasionally this year - something he'd never have done even 5 years ago

I had my first Corrado at 25 (could just afford the insurance then!) and my second at 32.

I really think that it is a classic, or is a 'future classic' as far as all non-VW-nuts are concerned!

Anyone of any age can drive a Classic car and not look a little silly, so enjoy it for its feel and drive now, and for its looks and style while increasing numbers of people realise how lovely and unique it really is :wink:

Ditto many comments above - I can't think of another car costing less than £35k that I'd rather have :D

Well, your never too old i am in my early 50's and bought one as a daily driver. I have always liked them since my son had a 16v when he was 20, been into VW's for as long as i can remember.Now retired enjoy the car as an unusual fun car

The point here is - Not to let others influence your own style and do things because you think you should.

I would sell the Corrado, if, I had the money for the other excessive motors i fancy - but I don't and the Corrado is a serioulsy good car in meantime.

Besides being Self Employed, I probably would have to keep the Corrado to visit Clients, I had enough comments when I bought it 5 years ago, clients thinking my rates were obvioulsy too high. Imagine what they would say if i turned up in a 350Z, Z4 or 911.

And to stop the obvious comments - Clients - I do Accounts for a business !! :lol:

Old timers lol! 22 and hope i can stick with this car till i get bored of it which wont be any time soon!! Could never get bored of the v6 noise!

Oh Err.......Looks like I'm oldest so far then....... (65).... VR6 with VSR manifold is my daily driver.

My 'weekender' is a 1977 MGB roadster with a Rover V8 efi engine..... (152WHP and 199ft/lbs)....still some work to do on the ignition , should make 175WHP on the next rolling road session.......not bad for 19CWT car !

Out of interest I tried Saga for my insurance

'Good morning ....how can we help? '

'I'd like to insure my cars...I'm 65'

'Yes sir....what do you drive .....Micra, Yaris or Rover 200 perhaps?'

'No. ..Corrado VR6 and V8 MGB ...both modified '

'Goodbye'

Oh Err.......Looks like I'm oldest so far then....... (65).... VR6 with VSR manifold is my daily driver.

My 'weekender' is a 1977 MGB roadster with a Rover V8 efi engine..... (152WHP and 199ft/lbs)....still some work to do on the ignition , should make 175WHP on the next rolling road session.......not bad for 19CWT car !

Out of interest I tried Saga for my insurance

'Good morning ....how can we help? '

'I'd like to insure my cars...I'm 65'

'Yes sir....what do you drive .....Micra, Yaris or Rover 200 perhaps?'

'No. ..Corrado VR6 and V8 MGB ...both modified '

'Goodbye'

Lol! Nice One :D