Sign in to follow this  
RDH

ABS electronic problems

Hi, my 94 2.0 16v Corrado has an ABS fault- the warning light comes on and the system does not work, an auto electrician has traced the fault apparently to a relay with the number 31 on it, today I have tried a dealer- who gave me several possibilities for the relay, but was not really sure which one I needed.

Does anyone-

Know the part number of the relay with 31 on it, or a direct replacement.

Know where I might be able to get one from quickly.

Hopefully I will be able to update my pics soon in the members section- just trying to get this ABS problem sorted.

Many thanks in advance

Rich.

Sorry, can't help you with your ABS fault, but I'm interested because my G60 has an intermittent fault similar to yours, which clears if I switch the ignition off. My auto electrician read the ABS fault codes and put it down to the brake light switch.

This resistor - did he say whereabouts it is? I can't see any resistors on the ABS unit or in the fuse area, so maybe it's hidden deep in the dash? Or could he have meant a relay? (Though I can't find one labelled 31.) There are some relays and fuses hidden behind the glovebox which I've always wondered about.

Hope someone more knowledgeable comes up with an answer for you.

Cheers for reply, Just read my post, I did mean relay (will edit it), think it is on fuseboard -car is in bodyshop having been repainted so I have not had a look at it myself, auto electrician has checked system and can only find the one fault with the relay.

Have ordered one this morning from main dealers, good to see a local C owner on here.

Rich

Sorry, can't help you with your ABS fault, but I'm interested because my G60 has an intermittent fault similar to yours, which clears if I switch the ignition off. My auto electrician read the ABS fault codes and put it down to the brake light switch.

You should replace your brake position sensor (could possibly be wired into the brake light switch). Don't assume that anyone else with an abs fault has the same one as yourself .. ;)

Sorry RDH, I don't know any more about relay 31, but I can tell you that on some cars the ABS relays are behind the glovebox, not in the main fusebox area.

Don't assume that anyone else with an abs fault has the same one as yourself .. ;)

Don't assume that I was assuming it was the same fault - I wasn't.

But since you know that I should I replace my brake position sensor, do you also happen to know where I might find it? There's nothing shown on the manual page for the brake pedal assembly other than the brake light switch. Do you mean the position sensor is built into it?

As you say, the relays behind the glovebox might be worth investigating in RDH's case, but since he's ordered one it looks like he's tracked its location down anyway.

Doh, wish I'd read this earlier. I have a few relays in the for sale section, one of which is your number 31, but I see you've already ordered one. Doh.

I had a similar problem. It was the brake pedal position sensor. This is plugged in to the servo in the engine bay. The servo is attached to the bulkhead behind the steering wheel as you look at it. The sensor has wires coming off a plugf at the base of the servo. This is on a VR6, I presume 16v will be the same... Initially my garage changed a sensor under the drivers footwell - this is not the correct one.

Doh, wish I'd read this earlier. I have a few relays in the for sale section, one of which is your number 31, but I see you've already ordered one. Doh.

Hi Let me know how much you want for it including posting, the dealer is ordering it for me on Monday so I could cancel it. Not 100% convinced this is the problem so would prefer a cheaper option.

Rich

Useful information, oxfordpaul. I think I've found the thing you mean. Black plastic cylinder attached to the servo, surprisingly not shown on the relevant page in the Bentley manual. Do you know how to remove it, or did you get a garage to change it? Though I suppose if I buy a new one it might become clear how it fits.

I think this could be the answer to my ABS fault, if not RDH's.

But since you know that I should I replace my brake position sensor, do you also happen to know where I might find it?

I did, but someone beat me to it!

I had a similar problem. It was the brake pedal position sensor. This is plugged in to the servo in the engine bay. The servo is attached to the bulkhead behind the steering wheel as you look at it. The sensor has wires coming off a plugf at the base of the servo. This is on a VR6, I presume 16v will be the same... Initially my garage changed a sensor under the drivers footwell - this is not the correct one.

Cool...always wondered what that little 2 pin plug was for on the G60.

Ive got an abs fault too :lol:

Does anyone know if the ABS light needs sorting before a pass will be issued on the MOT? I have been informed by the garage that this is the case.

The light seems to turn on when I touch the brake pedal after ignition. After reading the thread it seems the two are connected and the sensor is found in the engine bay?! Help!