Sign in to follow this  
chuck

Paint tips

At last, I sold my peugeot!!! :D :D :D

That means I now have the money to do up my C (2 months now I've been wanting to do it up - its been hell :evil: )

Now to get that set of 16 inch wheels, lower it by 'bout 40mm, retrim the interior in half leather (grey leather with a sky blue cloth/suede center seat and door cards)..... and sort out the paintwork.

When I bought it there was some rust on wheel arches, but it would have been easy to fix. Until some £$%@ker pulled my door handles of in the multi storey in the city center!!!. A couple of other small disasters and the body shop quote me £2000 for a full respray. So, I'll do some of the easier stuff myself. Its a 13 year old everyday car, so perfection is not a necessity.

Now I did a bit of body work on my scirocco, and it turned out OK. VW aerosol cans. Though the laquer never came up right - always looked streaky.

Has anyone got any tips to get a good finish on VW paints and laquer???

I want to do a god jod see, but I'm a cheapskate! :wink:

you'll never get a good finish with just aerosol tins i'm afraid :(

but £2k for a respray does seem a bit steep(unless its for a windows out bare metal one in which case its criminally cheap).....have you had any other quotes?

The £2k is for a windows out, bonnet off, doors off, bumpers off respray including replacing the wheel arches and blanking the doorhandle holes in the doors. Reputable place too. Not bare metal though. Probably an Ok price, but too much money for me to afford. Are there any electric spray guns that don't cost the earth, that might give an acceptable finish. I was happy enough with most of the work I did on the rocco, it was just the laquer - it had the aerosol-deoderant-on-glass look.

Its just for small areas, rear wheel arches where theres a line to hide imperfections, and the corner of a bumper. The rest will be done professionally.

Any tips on blending in colour, or making laquer look shinier?

the best way to get rid of that effect is to use plenty elbow grease and a good cutting compound once the laquer has dried and try to polish it smooth....or if you do all the prep work and remove the bumpers etc and trailer it to the bodyshop then that should save a fair bit of time and money too......if your going to spend a fair bit on getting the interior half-leathered and the rest that you have planned you'd be as well getting the paintwork done to the highest standard....thats why you should get it done professionally.....just my £0.02p worth

hth

The £2k is for a windows out, bonnet off, doors off, bumpers off respray including replacing the wheel arches and blanking the doorhandle holes in the doors. Reputable place too. Not bare metal though. Probably an Ok price, but too much money for me to afford. Are there any electric spray guns that don't cost the earth, that might give an acceptable finish. I was happy enough with most of the work I did on the rocco, it was just the laquer - it had the aerosol-deoderant-on-glass look.

Its just for small areas, rear wheel arches where theres a line to hide imperfections, and the corner of a bumper. The rest will be done professionally.

Any tips on blending in colour, or making laquer look shinier?

I'd hire a compressor and spray gun mate for a weekend and use that - the results will be alot better - have sprayed a couple of cars myself and had a good result - wouldnt dream of using spray cans on a Corrado! :p

Failing that ask the bodyshop who quoted you.... if you could strip it and prep it and they just spray it - the prep and stripping is labour intensive hence the prices... Ive done this lots of times and can get full respray done for £400... and thats a top quality job!!!

Worth some thought ?

Scott/

i'm bringing mine into my mates shop in a couple weeks. doors/hatch/bonnet off, bumpers and front end off, interior and glass out... sides of the engine bay out too. gonna strip it down and do the body mint.. shaved door handles and side trim. trailer it to a booth....i don't want to mess about with metallic pearl paint! the guy i'm working with has been a vw/audi body guy for 4 yrs.. and i'm still not getting him to paint it. you get what you pay for with auto paint.

i'd do the prep and pay for the paint if i were you. i'd also wait a while for the interior if cash is tight.. that's what i'm doing.

...and two months man?? i've been waiting.. lemme see.. 18 months. so put a sock in it eh!!! :lol:

Yea, its all booked in now.

Next week and I will be without C for at least a fortnight. (its OK though - one of those weeks I'll be trying to break a leg sliding down a snowy hill in Andorra on me arse), so it won't be missed for that one.

I managed to knock the guy down a bit on price anyway. Leaving front bumper on and other cut corners (like me stripping bits and bobs myself). Will still be a top notch job though. Also, I'm only getting just the front two seats done now in half black leather (I was told its near impossible to get a good finish on the door cards - they're bonded on in the factory, so I'll leave the standard grey cloth on the centers and doors)... and see what it looks like with stock rears. Probably get them done later.

Oh, and when its done, I'll post pics :D :D :D

Lanny, will also post pics on the shaved doors and try to include some info on what I did with the solenoids - it was easy to install, but a bugger to find somewhere that they will fit :x (theres a couple more holes on the drivers side than on the passengers - guess which one I did first :? )

Oh... and 18 months???... :tongue: (sorry hadn't seen that emoticon used before)

Coupled with Eibach springs and a set of 16" alloys (I like the look of 17s, but I'd either ding 'em or get 'em nicked - and knowing the standard of thieves in this area, they'd probably pull them off with a tractor :roll: ) .....

I can't wait.........