Sign in to follow this  
mushy

Newbie here - Corrado G60 convincing and help!

Hello Mushy,

Off the top of my head the main things I've had to pay out for, not counting mods or replacing worn out bits of trim, gear knob, handbrake handle, etc. Or the bit of body repair and colour matching I've had done:-

Had it serviced at a local VW garage, cost about £200 with parts+labour.

New Lambda probe = £350 (but these are expensive no matter what car you drive)

Coolant flushed and refilled = £70

New coolant cap and refill of coolant = £50 (checked coolant a few days after flush & refill & knackered the rubber seal up on the cap - Doh!)

Apart from that most of the costs have been re-doing stuff that the previous owner had ballsed up, sound system, alarm, boot install, etc. Or wear and tear, such as tracking and balancing from daily use, new door handle mechanism, etc.

Next few jobs are a new alarm system, Lupo wipers before winter sets in and next year getting the charger serviced for peace of mind.

If you are going to use the C as a daily driver if the cars already got Lupo Wipers and also an uprated headlight wiring loom these are a big bonus.

Hi Mushy,

i've had my g60 for two and a half years now and touch wood its been rock solid reliability wise. As for mpg i think its nothing short of miraculous. I get 30-35mpg on long motorway cruises at 70-90mph and cruising at 45-55 its possible to see over 40mpg on the mfa, far better than any other 1.8ltr cars i've owned.

As for the charger, check the boost levels as per the buying guide, and get it rebuilt if it hasnt been done. They are a bit of an enigma though and its been known for even recently rebuilt ones to go pop. They do seem to be reasonably easy to come by though thanks to the extremely generous people on here, i've had two offers within a week of placing a wanted ad. Personally i'd go for a standard charger, if not a standard car, as its your best clue has to how its been driven, and as with buying any car sizing up the owner is as important as sizing up the car

good luck

dave

I know you have said you would be looking at a 16v or G60, I have a VR and would have to stick up for this model of Corrado.

Just so you are sure you do/do not wish to include/exclude it from your equation, I have provided some of the details of mine.

Mine is a N plate '96 with 148k on the clock and runs superbly and uses no oil.

With fuel, tax and insurance aside, so including all repairs and one bodywork repair of £300, it has averaged at costing me £200 per month to keep on the road, this has been the same figure for the last two years. I have not had any major problems, just standard servicing and general wear and tear items, included in here new brake disks and radiator, plus my tyres are £100 per corner. I also go to one of the reputable garages.

Mph - although I can on occassion get 34mph, a proper average is 28mph to include short and long distances. Again like the G60, over 80 and it will always drop below 30mph, guess I may be a little hard on the right foot too. :)

Good luck with looking, main advice would be - be patient - they are a lot of dogs out there. Took me over 9 months to find mine. I will leave the boys to tell you all the history you really should check dependant on which model you finally choose.

Wow Wendy, have you really spent £4500 purely on maintenance in 2 years? :shock: What mileages do you do?! Even the fitting of your discs, tyres and radiator cant have come to more than £1500 even at main dealer rates can they? I'm just wondering what else you could have spent the money on? I guess if you'd had clutch/chains/head done then thats another £1500 but then those and the radiator are only once in ownership items.

I'm just concerned that, even if you did mean those figures, they're not entirely representative of every year of VR6 ownership. We're not trying to put the poor guy off too much!

Really enjoyed reading this thread. I've owned my G60 for a while now after owning a string of golfs and things and the first time I drove it I knoew it was the one! :D Just feels completely different from a golf. And be prepared to have loads of people asking if it's for sale!

And for the record the Association of British insurers class the G60 as a group 17, but as said different companies rate in different ways. The company I work for won't insure me on the Rado until I'm 30!

Dukest - In brief ;- over two years;-

New alarm £450, Mot's x 2 £88, Breakdown cover x 2 £100, CD Player £200, Wheel bearing £250, Tyres £500, Radiator £340, Disks & pads £340, Wishbone bushes (inc fitting) £160, water hose & fitting £100, Bodywork repairs/respray - bumpers and one wing £1000, then general servicing. The figure I provided does include absolutely everything, so polishes, dusters, new mats, bulbs, wiper blades the works.

I personally think it was just fair to let someone know the real costs.

They - whoever they are - reckon you should always estimate £250 per month for running costs of a car.

I reckon many many perople on here well exceed my figure too.

Sadly, I do accounts for a living, so really do have every single receipt which i just once a year tally up.

I recently finished my Year End - being self employed, so did it then, hence I just quickly looked it up when I saw this post.

I am doing in the region of 12000 - 15000 miles per annum and do not hold back when it comes to my car - much to the amusement of my girlfriends. :lol:

Dukest - I don't think the costs that Wendy quoted are anything out of the ordinary (at least for a vr) - I spent £3k in the first year of ownership, and even taking out the non-essentials it still cost almost £2k. I've now owned my vr for approx 3 years and 11 months - total spent (exc. tax and insurance) - £7k. Allowing for the fact that it was off the road for about 7 months last year - that works out at about £175 a month - and I've still not got the body work sorted out - and it doesn't have lowered suspension, fancy alloys, a charger or a schrick - it's all standard apart from the lupo wipers! Plus I've spent almost £10k on petrol in that time too.

These are not cheap cars to run - they may be at times, but usually there's something that needs doing. The spoiler mechanism on mine is now in need of attention, last month it was the tensioner pulley/bearing. Despite the costs though - these are great cars :D

So anyway, Mushy - did you see the car? did you buy it? Are you a rado owner yet?