Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Torque Wrench....

Looking to buy one, can anyone recommend good makes, torque range, size (3/8 or 1/2) etc?

EDIT: Would this be any good?

yeah, ive got one of those, just not as colourful though! works fine except on mine you have to screw the end in really tight to make sure that it doesnt re-adjust itself when you are doing something up.

the halfords professional range are good, they also have a lifetime guarantee.

i'm still confused as what to buy tho, reading things makes it seem like you need 3 different ones :lol:

Being a mechanic ive used most makes of tools and you cant beat Facom, Just as good as Snap off and half the price, most of my tools are facom now.

Graham

I've got a Draper Professional torque wrench. Not had to use it an awful lot yet but it seems fine :)

Think that one works out slightly cheaper from Screwfix, no postage to pay. Teng stuff seems good quality but I have to say for wheel bolts, head bolts and suspension stuff my cheapo Argos one is fine, doesn't seem far out compared to the Snap-On etc stuff they use in my dad's workshop.

If you want something to torque small 10mm nuts etc. accurately down to 5 or 10Nm then a good branded one would be advisable.

Oh, and one that goes down to 5Nm, won't do up your hub nuts! You'll probably need 2 for most jobs, one high, one low range, I just guess for the low range stuff and use threadlock rather than overtighten :lol:

I have an old Halfords one (very good and made by Teng) and I have been using a mates one (one of the new Halfords ones) to do up ABF head bolts and it's also seems very good and the guage is very accurate!

You need 2 really stu, my mates is 10-60 I think 3/8 drive and the next one up is 40-200Nm in 1/2"

Agreed ive got three but ones a spare coz im greedy!

You need 2 really stu, my mates is 10-60 I think 3/8 drive and the next one up is 40-200Nm in 1/2"

Agreed ive got three but ones a spare coz im greedy!

Thirded!

Some 16v and VR head bolts are buggers to get at and need a 3/8 drive to get at a couple ideally. Also many 1/2" sets don't go that low. TBH, I only really use torque wrenches on special things, like wheel bearings and head bolts etc...

So what range and size should I be looking at, as a good all rounder?

I read a round up of torque wrenchs in a mag recently, the Halfords pro ones are the most accurate and the only criticism was the ratchet mech was not as good as some of the others.

As for how many you need, Halfords do a dirty great big one that goes from 60nm-300nm on a half inch drive and one that goes from 10nm-60nm on a 3/8 inch drive IIRC, get both of those and that will be it covered.

I use draper pro stuff at work and to be frank it is a pile of crap, the Halfords pro stuff is so much better by comparison and if you break it they will change it no questions asked.

So what range and size should I be looking at, as a good all rounder?

I read a round up of torque wrenchs in a mag recently, the Halfords pro ones are the most accurate and the only criticism was the ratchet mech was not as good as some of the others.

As for how many you need, Halfords do a dirty great big one that goes from 60nm-300nm on a half inch drive and one that goes from 10nm-60nm on a 3/8 inch drive IIRC, get both of those and that will be it covered.

I use draper pro stuff at work and to be frank it is a pile of crap, the Halfords pro stuff is so much better by comparison and if you break it they will change it no questions asked.

Sorted. Got some Halfrauds Pro Sockets and ratchet, and they are really good, so Halfrauds Pro it is.....