Sign in to follow this  
DUBAI-VR6

Why oh why - hoses blowing!

Does anyone have any ideas how I could manage to split 3 water hoses in as many weeks?

Temps have been fine but I am wondering if anything could be blocked / seized / knackered that would resort in an increased pressure in the cooling system. Currently running two rads and all the cooling should have been (I was billed for it) changed recently - rad, thermostat, Temp sensor, water pump etc.

Any ideas?

Could well be worn engine mounts. Which hoses have gone?

To be fiar the mounts are a tad sha@@ed. They are on the list to do when G works get back to me about shockers. Going to get all the mounts and bushes done at the same time. Tighten her up so to speak.

The same one went twice, well right next to each other (Top of Rad into the RHS of the block),however, the 3rd one was just a small blanking piece on the same hose set. Not sure what the take of that it was blocking was for.

Either way its all a bit too coincidental. I wqasn't even giving it some when the last one went.

Aux pump....... and where is this?

Sorry - used to Pugs... So what does this do exactly? And if it wasn't what / why would this potentially cause my quandry?

Check the top hose to the radiator, feel it - if it's brick hard, then it could be the headgasket has gone and is pressurising the cooling system.

Check the top hose to the radiator, feel it - if it's brick hard, then it could be the headgasket has gone and is pressurising the cooling system.

Oh yay, that sounds like a happy thought.....

I had it pressure tested not that long ago and the guys said it was ok and the CHG was definately ok, although my trust is waining somewhat at the mo.

Car is away with them at the mo so I will have to wait and see what its like on its return.

Thing is is the CHG had gone would I not be seeing steam out the exhaust, lose power and have the temp going nuts? Especially as the daily temp here sits around 42 degrees at the mo and 35 at night.

I have just had one like this, it came in with a blown aux pump spraying water out, then it blew the head to matrix hose on me, then the matrix blew when that was replaced and so I did a pressure test and found 2.5 bar system pressure! A new head gasket has sorted it and from what we could see, it had only been done recently. Get the cooling system pressure measured and also checked for combustion gases with either a chemical test or a Co meter.