Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

Touareg Cigarette Lighter Socket Torch

Hi

Does anyone know if these torches charge up properly in the C's cigarette lighter socket?

Apparently they don't work with some older VW's.

Thought it would be a useful thing to have in the car rather than the lighter which never gets used.

Ta

ST

tour_torch.jpg

Yes works fine, and dammit that's another unique OEM mod gone public :lol:

They have been know about for ages its just the price that puts most people off.

They have been know about for ages its just the price that puts most people off.

When I bought mine a couple of years ago they were cheap. I think as they've become popular they've hiked the price, same as they did with Seat 4 pot calipers.

Why - How much are they??

Why - How much are they??[/quote:812a6]

Think they're about £20 now :shock:

Why - How much are they??[/quote:8ce5d]

last time i saw them for sale at ed38 they where £35 (although they may be cheaper from vw) I lost interest as soon as the guy said £35 for a torch :lol:

Here you go still seems a bit much for a torch though ebay

i want one :!

where to buy?

Er, the dealer.

Go and ask for a towrag fag lighter torch thingy, that should do it ;)

I've got one in mine, but I fitted a later VW socket (and made a new cigarette lighter/gaugue holder for the dash for it as well) as the one on my G60 was too big for it to fit properly. Think I got a socket from a 2000ish Golf at a breakers for the socket. Looks good and charges fine from the new one.

In fact for the interested parties.... http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34451&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=jmc&start=45

Er, the dealer.

:rofl:

Nice pod build JMC, very impressed.

It looks to me that you've made your heater controls red as well, how did you do that?

Ta

ST

It looks to me that you've made your heater controls red as well, how did you do that?

Ta

ST

That was - got a scanned in file of the original heather controls, tidied up the image and lined it all up, changed to colours to what I wanted in Photoshop, made a reverse copy of the image as well (explain later), sized them up so they were the same as the original, printed both the normal and reversed one on acetate, cut out and stuck them back to back to protect the ink and provide a denser black (hence the need for a reverse image as well as the normal one), mounted it in the control along with about 4 or 5 more mini 12V light bulbs to give even illumination along the length of it (something the original is terrible at). Simple :lol:

Never thought somebody would come up with that idea.

How long does the torch last?

Don't know - never run it down completely and it recharges whenever it's plugged in. It is very, very bright for such a small torch though.

So its good for those late night breakdowns, poking around under the bonnet looking like you know what your doing then call recovery moments, this makes you look like a pro.

Does it work in my cig socket or does it need replacing

Does it work in my cig socket or does it need replacing

I presume the late and early interior Corrado's both had the same cigarette lighter - if that is the case then it's too large (the socket that is). One thing you could do is fit a second socket and run it from that. I have a second socket in the passenger under dash tray for running my sat nav off. I bought this from vagparts and it normally a boot fixture, but being newer it has a smaller diameter and fits the torch. See about 2/3 the way down this for a picture....

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34451&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=jmc&start=90

Er, the dealer.

:rofl:

Nice pod build JMC, very impressed.

Ta

ST

it didn't do it, he couldn't find it :lol:

hi, 1st post as i have not actually recived my vr6 yet, but it will be appearing soon, in the mean time i bought a toe rag torch and what i belive to be a later 12v socket, however it does not click into the socket or anything it just sits in it, i would imagine if you went over a couple of bumps it would simply fall out? any of you have this problem?

thanks in advance, pics will follow when my car turns up, im itching to get it, i even bought a brand new genuine vw vr6 exhuast for it on the cheap!

Didnt fit in my corrado vr6 lighter socket either its too small for the socket so ive heard you need a 12v cig lighter from a mk4 golf or newer for it to fit but then comes the problems with fitting so have left it till i can be arsed lol!