Sign in to follow this  
Furkz

HEADLIGHT SWITCH

are these a common fault? i think i read something somewhere but wasnt too sure

i think mine is dead as it only turns the sidelights on and not the full lights, have checked all the looms and cleaned all the connections and i can now only think its the switch...

am i right?

also how much are these things, i bet their not cheap!

Hi mate, yes - £21 from VW for the early ones so not bad at all...

Worth getting a new switch anyways but check your relays too - £2 a shot from maplins

I find punching mine helps!

Furkz get a new one if it doesn't go past first click, it means somethings gone inside as they get brittle due to heat buildup from teh amaing job VW did of the headlight wiring!

If VAG don't have them ARZ do!

Furkz get a new one if it doesn't go past first click, it means somethings gone inside as they get brittle due to heat buildup from teh amaing job VW did of the headlight wiring!

Agree! Feel the temp the switch gets to when the lights are on (even a new one). The thing starts baking right away, as does the coilpack, as does the thermostat housing.....Why do we love them? :? :lol:

Strangely Furkz i've got the exact same problem at the minute. Must be the time of year! I'm fairly sure its not the switch but the aftermarket headlight wiring loom.. has yours got one of those too or are you running on standard Corrado headlight wiring?

In the past i've been able to open the bonnet and carefully prod the cabling around the electically taped together relays down by the battery and the main beams have come on ok and worked then for a few weeks without any problems but this time no amount of prodding will sort it...

sounds like a dodgy connection inside the switch, pull it apart and have look.

headlight switch from VAG is £13.49 (hey mr supercharged, i thought an corrado anorak like yourself would be more on the ball HAHA) so cant be fluffed messing and ordered a new one

Jim i built my own loom years ago so the 1st thing i did was take it all apart and clean the terminals and check fuses and relays to make sure all is well.

headlight switch from VAG is £13.49 (hey mr supercharged, i thought an corrado anorak like yourself would be more on the ball HAHA)

:) I know but I quoted the rrp price as I keep getting complaints from people who can't get trade prices saying the price is wrong etc!

headlight switch from VAG is £13.49 (hey mr supercharged, i thought an corrado anorak like yourself would be more on the ball HAHA)

:) I know but I quoted the rrp price as I keep getting complaints from people who can't get trade prices saying the price is wrong etc!

some ppl lol thanks for the help anyways, lets hope its that!

Furkz,

I've got exactly the same problem with my light / light switch as you had. Problem is since you changed both the switch and the relay you don't, I take it, know which one was causing the problem! Mine too has had an uprated loom fitted by a previous owner. Is that relay that you changed different to the normal standard relays near the fuse box?

Is there anyway of testing fault diagnosing the problem to where it lies? I have a multimeter.

Cheers, SImon.

change the relay and than the switch... i have a 2nd hand switch that works perfectly i can sell you also

my relay was a 4 pin std relay i got from a motor factors

Just prise it out carefully with something like a large screwdriver.. just take care not to mangle the dash as you don't need to use that much force :)

Dudes - about the relays... the only ones I have found to last well under the bonnet are the ones maplin sells (on the shelf as 'automotive relays') - seem to be the cheapest too - 30A is £2 and £40 is £2.70

Sorry to be an ignoramus but which relay is it for the headlights?

Thanks.

I'll pop to my local Maplins to get it 2m.

Simon.

Simon - if you have the uprated loom the relays should be under the bonnet somewhere, trace the wires from the back of the lights and the relays should be mounted near the battery...

Supercharged,

Thanks mate, I spied out my relay that you highlight. I'll see about getting one at Maplins tommorrow (I've been that busy!)

If it's not that, does anyone know if the Golf VR6 or other VW models have the same dash board and stalk headlight switches to the Corrado to try?

Si