Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

VR6 Engine Mounts?

Hi all,

I'm beginning to wonder if my engine mounts are a little squishy, and was hoping someone can tell me roughly how much movement you should be able to engender in a well-maintained VR6 engine with a good shove?

Cos there's pretty much nowhere to grab hold of the engine and it's quite heavy, I haven't yet found a sensible way of checking if it's moving up and down much (short of trying to drive it with the bonnet up!!), but just grabbing hold of the induction manifold at the front of the engine and heaving it side-to-side I can get rather more bounce than I expect. Maybe an inch total?

Does this sound bad or not bad or normal or what?

The only real symptom that I know of that kinda indicates engine mount wear is a little oscillation when pulling away - it's not nice and smooth as it should be. I also notice a little more instability than I'd like when under heavy acceleration and such, which also points to engine mounts.

Any pointers appreciated.. :)

Cheers,

M.

Try opening the bonnet, then trying to pull away, with the hand brake on as hard as you can get it. You should be able to see the engine lift a 'little'.

an inch is too much, it'll be hitting the bonnet.

I recommend a Vibratechnics one from Stealth Racing.

An inch was side-to-side wobble, like I say, by hand it's difficult to lift the engine at all.

I'll give that a go anyway..

side to side?!? sounds more like the rear, engine side mount.

Take it out and fill all the holes with sikaflex.

I had a shufty, the mount that's moving the most is the gearbox side mount.

No major twisting of the engine when in 1st gear, but the back of the engine lifts a good inch when in reverse, quite a lot of twist there...

That would explain why my top hose went west too...

Interesting...

I'd really like to compare with other people's cars before I decide it's shot, but that strikes me as more movement than I expected...

Still, £41 from ECP, not too bad. Might get that looked at next time...

I've never had a problem with that mount personally so I can't really tell you what's best to do with it, but you can still buy uprated rear mounts from vibratechnics if you can warrant the expense. If it's a rubber block full of holes like tho other side the sikaflex method will work. works a treat on old and new mounts, it stiffens them up without making the rock hard, and only costs a few quid.

Well surely replacing it is the trick... With a new VW one, even!?

It would be most interesting to compare the movement with another VR, to see if it's unusual.

I didn't really mention above, but the other mounts don't really move at all, but that one allows the engine to lift (diagonally) quite noticeably. And don't forget this was only at ~ 1100 rpm - the handbrake isn't strong enough to put more power through than that.

I'm inclined to think it's fubar, and it's worth replacing when a new one is £23.50 from GSF!

Dunno how much labour is involved, but would expect it to be less than an hour (depending on how hard it is to get the bolt out, I suppose).

Put a heavy duty rubber mount on the gearbox from turn2usa. I've got one on mine (and a VT front mount) and engine movement is negligable.

Kev

But how much movement should I expect to see on a standard gearbox mount?

Anyone with a stock, low mileage car care to comment? (Or who's fitted new OEM mounts.)

I observed mine on the standard engine mounts (all 3) on Stealth's rollers in March and again, engine movement was normal. Nothing like what you've described.

I upgraded the front and Gbox ones as I wanted the engine to sit more tightly in the chassis, just a personal preference.

Kev