Sign in to follow this  
Lizard Racing

Autotech/Fidanza VR6 flywheel

Are any of you using Autotech or Fidanza alloy flywheels on your VRs. The clutches I have been running are literally eating the material off the standard flywheel. Its down to just under 4kgs and is getting very thin. I want to change it when I rebuilt the box so Im interested to hear what you think. Should I be looking at a billet steel instead off the alloy ones?

I'm running a Fidanza flywheel (its been fitted for about 7 months now) and i'm very impressed with it tbh, helps the VR spin up loads more easily, no issues with juddering etc & it fitted like a glove according to the guys at G-Werks who fitted that and my Quaife for me!

i'm not qualified to comment for your level of ouput though dude as you've got considerably more horses than me, but i think its a good quality Mod for the VR.

Thats good to hear mate. Did you buy it over here or import it from the states?

I bought mine from the states via a compnay called 'Gripforce' they have a shop on the american version of e-bay:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIDANZA- ... enameZWDVW

would highly recomend them tbh as the service was spot on, i ordered and paid for mine on a saturday afternoon and it turned up at work on the following Thursday, so 4 working days from the states to the UK. Think it worked out about 200quid inc delivery which was loads cheaper than they are over here! :) Pretty sure Craziscot on here used them too with no problems.

I'd find out firts why your clutch disk is eating the flywheel. How long are they lasting? Have they been resurfaced?

the alloy flywheels still have a steel friction plate as the alloy would overheat to quickly,as for performance not a great deal but dose make the engine rev cleaner and quicker,idles the same and does not stall easy like the mith that is going around.

Standard cast flywheels are so soft compared to the compound used on paddle clutches. The cover plates are fine and show no signs of wear but the flywheels are normally a mess. The amount of material left in the bottom of the bellhousing is unreal! It cost me £80 last time to have it faced. The last flywheel lasted 6000 miles. I do drive it daily as I have said and that means alot of stop starting. It just makes more sense to me to buy a new hardened steel plate instead of shelling out the same money to regrinding an old standard flywheel.

I have always used a lightened flywheel on my VR and have had no issues with idle etc. The engine is extremely responsive and revs very freely.

I have a Fidanza item on order right now, although I'm not going to be running anything like the power that you are.

You may find the Fidanza one lasts longer, but frankly with the level of power you are apparently running you should expect quite a number of the engines' internal organs become consumables compared with a 190bhp engine. If you kill the Fidanza item then I guess you need to consider having something built to order from a much tougher material altogether?

John

where did you end up ordering you Fidanza from John? did you use Gripforce too!

Alex

I have a Fidanza item on order right now, although I'm not going to be running anything like the power that you are.John

i'm pretty sure thats what i paid for mine as remember it was just a shade under 200quid english, great value for money, gotta love that exchange rate at the moment! :)

I will do when I have the money, had to pay for the diff a couple of weeks ago so have to wait another week or so. He quoted me $380 delivered which is a bragain really.

where did you end up ordering you Fidanza from John? did you use Gripforce too!

Alex

I have a Fidanza item on order right now, although I'm not going to be running anything like the power that you are.John

Sorry Alex - only just caught up with the thread (oops). I got my Fidanza one here : http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hottuning-eu

Really helpful, excellent service. Good price too. I have to say the flywheel itself is just a work of art. It's actually a shame to put it inside the car really.

HTH,

John

no worries John, must agree the Fidanza is a lovely bit of kit, fitted like a glove too, could'nt believe the weight difference compared with the stock one when i hefted them both in comparison! :)

Sorry Alex - only just caught up with the thread (oops). I got my Fidanza one here : http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hottuning-eu

Really helpful, excellent service. Good price too. I have to say the flywheel itself is just a work of art. It's actually a shame to put it inside the car really.

HTH,

John

no worries John, must agree the Fidanza is a lovely bit of kit, fitted like a glove too, could'nt believe the weight difference compared with the stock one when i hefted them both in comparison! :)

HTH,

John

For the benefit of those of you who are wondering what the hell Alex & I are talking about :

I have just put a 10 lb (4.54kg) Autotech item on my new engine. It all fitted perfectly and (only!!) cost £120. It should be running in a couple of weeks, i'll let you know how I get on...

I have just put a 10 lb (4.54kg) Autotech item on my new engine. It all fitted perfectly and (only!!) cost £120. It should be running in a couple of weeks, i'll let you know how I get on...

The Fidanza one costs more money, but even less weight (3.8kg). I should also be running in by the end of the month. Looks like we're all going to be having some fun

:)