Butterfly

Butterflys Blackberry... car of the 90's

I thought long and hard about which route to go with this project and your expected views played a major part in many of the decisions made.
:shock: Thought Kip had the infleunce of that!

Thought you had been looking under my White Scirocco.

Thats how I held the back axle beam together with tie wraps!!!! :norty: :norty:

I thought long and hard about which route to go with this project and your expected views played a major part in many of the decisions made.
:shock: Thought Kip had the infleunce of that!

Thought you had been looking under my White Scirocco.

Thats how I held the back axle beam together with tie wraps!!!! :norty: :norty:

Yeah but she always asks me what would Chris think? :lol: Very funny!

Pete, the axle was sand blasted then Nylon coated which is far tougher than powder coating. The cost to get the beam done was £40 :shock: An absolute bargain if i may say so :grin:

It was done by a company called batchglow in dinnington south yorkshire.

Pete, the axle was sand blasted then Nylon coated which is far tougher than powder coating. The cost to get the beam done was £40 :shock: An absolute bargain if i may say so :grin:

Judith

How did Batchglow go about blasting all the awkward hidden from direct view areas?

And how did they check these areas?

Presumably for nylon coating they'd need to blast to a fairly high Swedish SA standard?

How did they keep all the mating surfaces free of nylon?

Did you keep the bush tubes clear of nylon?

Sorry to bombard you - the questions just seem to naturally present themselves. :?

Judith

How did Batchglow go about blasting all the awkward hidden from direct view areas?

Presumably for nylon coating they'd need to blast to a fairly high Swedish SA standard?

Sorry to bombard you - the questions just seem to naturally present themselves. :?

Beat me to it phil! :) Going to be doing this soon and would like to know too!

Big big :luvlove: to Graham for taking the extra time and trouble with my car (and for putting up with me faffing about).

Your welcome Judith, its always a good to see you and its a pleasure working on such a lovely car, always reminds me of working on them at the dealers when they were new (which makes me feel old! :lol: )

i nearly painted my axle with hammerite while it was off, but couldn't be arsed :lol: so put it back on rusty 8)

:shock: :shock: :cuckoo: Gobsmacked!! You'ld done all the hard work!

The mating surfaces for stub axle was actually coated too then graham took a disc to it to burn it off :notworthy: the old bush outer sleeves were left in place then i cut them out afterwards! glad i did now as it is very tough as graham will confirm lol! sorry fella.

They gave the axle a good blast all over too so the finish is pretty impressive even on the inside hidden bits. 8)

Looks stunning as ever! Amazing what a difference sorting out the rear beam makes, and also the tank straps. Gonna have to get these all done on mine come spring time...

Judith

Hi, been away a few days Christmas partying in Bristol but I think Kip has answered most points.

Phil, re your very specific questions....

How did they go about blasting?? Don't now, I handed it to them and left them to geton with it.

How did they check?? Ditto !!

Blast to a high standard for nylon coating.... Don't know...

Bush tubes clear?... as Kip said which turned out to be a very very good idea!!

Masking the sub axle faces would have been a good idea but Graham saved the day by buying a grinding wheel and managed to get the nylon paint off.

Chris - there were quite a few conversations about what paint finish to go for and which way to fit the axle bolts... nut or bolt face 'outwards' etc. Lots of 'but who would notice that?' and answers 'Chris would'. :grin:

Looking very sorted now, you and KIP should call a truce on each other though as between you you have 2 of the finest concours Corrado VR6s in the country and the few others are seldom seen.

Love the care you both put into your cars

Right - thanks for that Kip/Judith. Certainly a super looking job, however the coating prep was done.

Did all the appendages, eg plastic cable guides etc transfer OK or did you find these needed renewing?

I bought a load of new clips etc etc but unfortunately not quite enough.

There is also the usual added problem of 2 or 3 part numbers quoted for something and no way of knowing which is the right one.

As I mentioned, I'm going to be taking a great interest in other peoples axles next summer looking at what type of clips they have......

Easier to explain and show you my huge collection of old and different clip types face to face one day but as an example...

111.jpg[/attachment:2lqqj92o]

Both brake line clips, no part numbers on the clip... which type do you have?

You could reuse the old one but will you be able to remove it without breaking it???

you and KIP should call a truce on each other

But I'm coverting his engine bay and he wants a rear axle like mine.

(Oh, and he would quite like it if I stopped having little accidents with heavy objects while on his side of the garage !!! :eek: :cry: :pale: )

I bought a load of new clips etc etc but unfortunately not quite enough.

There is also the usual added problem of 2 or 3 part numbers quoted for something and no way of knowing which is the right one.

As I mentioned, I'm going to be taking a great interest in other peoples axles next summer looking at what type of clips they have......

Easier to explain and show you my huge collection of old and different clip types face to face one day but as an example...

111.jpg[/attachment:3rcshgas]

Both brake line clips, no part numbers on the clip... which type do you have?

You could reuse the old one but will you be able to remove it without breaking it???

I found that when replacing all the clips on the underside of mine, and the new style replacement clips for the heat shields are useless. Glad I'm not the only one!! It all looks great under there now though nice work :D , are you ever going to drive it on a rainy day ever again though!!

Yeah I've got 25 heat shield clips but they dont look right and don't look like they will do a very good job so I've not changed them.

And it certainly doesn't look very pretty at the moment. I drove it down Monday morning on dirty wet roads and got back too late Tuesday evening to do anything about cleaning it.

Since then I've been in Bristol two days and the drive now has a covering of snow so there is no way I'm getting it out to clean it for ages yet.

I think I cut it very close to being out much too late in the year. Another day or so later in getting round to this and I would have been driving on thickly salted/ gritted roads :gag:

Clean rain in the summer isn't too much of a problem :|

Well, as per my signature, my original Blackberry 8v has been driven off to her new home today.

And as anyone who has sold a Corrado will know, it's a funny old feeling letting one go out into the big wide world all alone without you :( but I know she is in safe hands and will get the cyclinder head attention she needs.

It's also making me think about my original Storm and I'm feeling melancholy.

Anyway, time to get a grip. Must post up pics of my 'new' Blackberry sometime but wont do so until we have sorted the recent dint to the front bumper!

Oh yeah, and I guess I should change my avatar as I don't own either of the cars pictured anymore :?

But you do own a blackberry 8v and a mystic blue storm.. who's gonna know the difference? :)

But you do own a blackberry 8v and a mystic blue storm.. who's gonna know the difference? :)

I know it's funny isn't it.

I meant to get the second Storm but another 8v in Blackberry was just the way it turned out!

I've had more nylon coating done while Kip was getting his tank straps seen to.

These are not going on for quite a while though so don't anyone look too closely under the front of my car :?

It does look lovely doesn't it.

That's another reason I dont want to put it on yet. It's so much easier admiring it in the house than having to lie under the car to see it :lol: :cuckoo: