Sign in to follow this  
junkie

1.8T Conversion's

If you want it to last, 400hp+ is not cheap!

Up to 300hp is easy and cheap.

People think the 1.8T is capable of 500hp with just a bigger turbo. Wrong. You are talking ££££s!! 8)

Thought that was the case, giving in at last :-), its really not that bad you know.....

its also not that expensive though, new rods new manifold new turbo new injectors and a remap, I think the BAM pistons are good for a fair bit beyond 350bhp are they not ?

some thing I am not sure about though is when you get up to this power is it imperitive to get better valves or is it only really neccessary if your upping the rev limit ?

I cant see the pistons been good for much more to be honest.

I think the valves are power related not RPM limited, they get too warm, overheat and snap.

fair enough wasnt sure thats all, I guess if your replacing the rods anyhow it makes sense to get the head done and pistons, just that I had been reading a fair amount on the vortex forums and there seems to be mixed opions on using the pistons, as I think they are Mahle ones as standard. makes sense on the valves and to be honest as I am running a small port head at the mo, wont be that much hassle when I do get round to it to get an AGU and get some better valves in anyway.

Inconel valves are becoming popular in the states at the moment, which is the same material Garrett use for their GT turbine wheels, so they can take some serious heat.

I believe the 1.8T valves are 2 piece and can fall apart when running big boost. Stealth have seen a few standard engines drop valves too but I don't think it's extremely common though.

If you're going to the trouble of stripping the motor to strengthen it, I'd personally take it out to 2.0 and use the AGU (with one piece inconel valves) head and get more power from less boost.

I would never have guessed the blue pipes were for the intercooler. :brickwall:

Was asking about the pipe work, because im having trouble with mine. I have a VR6 rad and there is not alot of room between the rad and the chassis, which is causing the intercooler pipes to rub on either side. Im surpised the 16v rad is up to the job with higher power levels.

Samg60 - what rad do you use?

No idea mate, it came with the car its not the biggest but water temps never run high, the engine conversion wasn't done by myself as I bought the car form a fellow forum member redlee, intercooler is huge though and fits the full width of the car bigger than a golf rallye one.

can take some pics or get the part number if needed...

Inconel valves are becoming popular in the states at the moment, which is the same material Garrett use for their GT turbine wheels, so they can take some serious heat.

Inconel alloys are used in (and were developed for) gas turbine engines too.

samg60 - if you get a photo and part number that would be great. Been quoted £400 for a Pro Alloy rad which is smaller than the VR6 rad, not sure if I can justify that much on a rad.

Although the rad from pro alloy is smaller it will be a better design than factory.

If you can spare money on tuning then surely you can spare money on making the engine reliable as well, if you know what i mean.

I run quite high power levels on the standard G60 rad and it works fine when driving along, when sat in traffic the highest temp i have seen is 110 and that was after giving it some stick on a really hot day then sitting for 10-15 min.

Ideally i want to get it cooler but as it stands its coping just.

was just thinking £400 is a far bit for a rad, if I can just go out and got a G60 rad for less than half the price and it will do the same job. Anyone know the size of a 1.8t rad? Is it far too large to fit in a Corrado?

I'm using a 16V rad in mine and have cooling issues! If you're giving it some beans like chasing porkas at 140+ :lol: it sits about 110-115 but doesn't climb any higher than that!

SAve your money for a decent Intercooler or aquamist!

you wouldnt happen to know the size of the 16v rad? Im currently running 2x 10" Kenlowe fans and would want to use them again. Also what side is the bottom water pipe?