Sign in to follow this  
H8RRA

don't want to break a perfectly good VR but....

...the prices at the moment are terrible and i don't suppose will get any better.

got a moonlight vr with receipts for an engine build 30-40 k ago but can't imagine getting £1500 for it as it needs tidying. For those that have broken VR's, what do you think can be realised breaking a vr with all parts available in good nick apart from stone chips?

Doesn't feel right breaking it but what do you do? If I can sell the engine, box, electrics etc as a conversion, job lot, I would hope to get a decent price? Any comments to help me decide?

what would you take as a whole car,always gotta be worth a try 1st,maybes someone will be lookin to get into corrado ownership.its a good place to start if its just cosmetics that let the car down

Yeah I agree, I'm looking very hard for a VR6, paint can be resprayed, dings can be pulled out, if the engine/box is strong and everything else has been well maintained I think you'd be a fool to break it - there's enough written off C's out there to meet the demand for the VR lump etc surely?

You should be able to realise something in the region of £2k-£3k in parts provided you strip the whole car and manage to sell most of it. Thing is, tearing down the whole car is a lot of work.

Suggest you research the classifieds in advance and identify the key price parts, as some bits are always particularly sought after and so it's important both to price those bits correctly, and ensure you don't break them when dissembling the car. In particular certain bits of interior trim are no longer available and stuff like the centre console housing, heating panel and the steering column parts always go quickly.

Personally from what you've said I'd consider trying to smarten the car and sell it complete. It could be that £1k spent in bodyshop could turn the car into a £3k+ motor if it's together mechanically.

Good luck with a tough decision

John

As John says - I'm sure you could make £2k-£3k on it by breaking it. It is a lot of work to strip the car, but as I found out that's the least of your worries.

Keeping track of who you've sold what to for how much and whether you've been paid and where it's gotta go to is the hard bit. Then the continual search for boxes/jiffy bags/bubble wrap and trips to the post office...