Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

broke down today, steam etc

i only got car back on road yesterday after sorting the steering/suspension and today whilst driving loads of steam starting pouring out of car

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

have found a big split in the pipe shown

DSC00207.jpg

i guess thats the cause and water pouring onto exhaust was the steam.

am thinking of ungrading all the water hoses now, but first need to get this pipe asap, should i go to VW or elsewhere?

I feel for you mate,that's happened to my corrado loads of times (2.0 valver.T.16v),i don't own a Vr6 version but i do have quite a few spares for the Vr,including that hose.Only problem is that i'm in Rome so getting the hose posted would take awhile...

If you don't have any luck locating the hose let me know and i'll send you mine.

thanks and thanks for the offer, but i think i'll be off to the dealers tomorrow

after a quick search it seems thats the only quick option, but think i'm going to look into samco's

Yes, dealer part only. Apparently it's come down in price slightly too, only £35 now .. !

That's always the first pipe to go. It usually splits down by the cylinder head, caused by a combination of old age and flex caused by sloppy engine mounts.

When mine went the guy managed to cut an inch off the end of the hose and re-attach it so I could continue my journey, I guess your recovery guy either didn't bother or your hose was split in a different place ..

he said he could fix it but i said may as well jut get it home, i didn't want to break down again etc

prehaps jacking the engine etc up to fit track rods has disturbed it enough to break

If it's on back order or something like that I've got one laying about in the garage at home, there was nothing wrong with it only I had to use a different one with a temp sensor in for the climatronic. Of course it's probably the original one so 12 years old and I'd have to get my wife to dig it out to post it but the offer's there. Let me know if you're stuck :D

There was one on e-bay a couple of days ago with a low start price - trawl through the 8 or 9 pages might still be there :)

quick question

to fix this, do i just replace the pipe, fill up water in expansion tank, or do i need to do anything to get any air out of system etc?

Just set the heater control to hot to let water flow into the heater matrix while filling and leave the cap off the expansion bottle while running the engine to warm it up. Always works for me.

so fit hose, fill with water, leave cap off, start engine, top up as needed, refit cap?

i plan to do this tonight as got my hose now

so fit hose, fill with water, leave cap off, start engine, top up as needed, refit cap?

i plan to do this tonight as got my hose now

Bit late posting, but yes and If you've done the job already, should be a good un. I assume you have as you haven't posted again with a problem :)

i got home from work and popped into a local garage and asked them they said fit hose, top water up, replace cap, start engine, heaters on, run till hot, switch off, cool down and refill if needed

finished job, everything seems fine to me, the rear of engine sounds a bit hissy? but may of always done that, its a thing that looks like a black shampoo bottle lid

here is the culprit

DSC00212.jpg

is this a common thing to happen? am a bit concerned that something else led to the pipe bursting?

Hmmm - probably just age but worrth checking the rest of the system is working as it should - a failing aux water pump could cause this!

is this a common thing to happen? am a bit concerned that something else led to the pipe bursting?

When the hoses get old yes so shouldn't be too concerned that something else caused it

Hmmm - probably just age but worrth checking the rest of the system is working as it should - a failing aux water pump could cause this!

is the water pump on the left hand side of engine, where the belts are?

that did sound a little noisy, slight squeak and a grind

i just worry :lol:

i don't want to break down too often and would hate for any damage to be done to engine for a silly reason like a hose/pump

Aux water pump is an electric pump behind the block, on the passenger side of the engine.

The main water pump is on the driver's side at the bottom of the block, driven by the aux belt.

I would suspect that the pipe died due to old age myself.

No need to turn the heater to "hot" by the way, there's always flow through the heater matrix on these cars, it's not like the old ones where the heater control stops/starts the water flow..

thanks, i'm just going to accept it was the hose at fault and nothing else, haven't been any other problems to suggest otherwise

Yep the same hose gave up on mine last month, got one from the stealers £35 as mentioned :? until my samco's arrive :)