Sign in to follow this  
JMC

VW company policy??

Just been on the phone to my local VW garage (Argents of Heathrow) to order in some bits and have been told that they can't take orders over the phone - company policy. How mad is that?? Been ordering stuff until a couple of months ago. Wouldn't mind but it's about 20 quids worth of bits, and it takes me about an hour round trip to go and get them. Obviously really don't want an hour to go and order them as well.

Does anyone know if this is standard 'company policy', or whether they are just having an ego trip?

Try Windrush VW in Slough instead. They take orders over the phone + internet :wink:

At Peter Cooper in Portsmouth you can order over the phone but have to pay for it up front. Which is okay till they supply the wrong parts etc... but they never do that do they? :?

Yeah, some dealers won't do it because you might never turn up. But if they're happy to take payment at the same time (thus they've got money for the parts and aren't out of pocket) then it's just because they're a bunch of useless twonks.

yeah, it's more to do with a dealership getting stuck with expensive parts they can't shift, they have to buy the bits from VW so tend to only stock very fast moving ones. The dealers I've used want payment up front which although a little annoying is fair enough I guess.

Cheers folks, so it seems to be more of a location policy than a company one. Nice to see they are consistant. In a vain hope of getting some sense I've left a message for the manager raising concerns over the nature of his customer service (given they were really a***y) and how daft it is to require payment up front for a few quids worth of bits to then have to come back a few days later and pick them up. Nice to know about Slough though, if the worst comes to the worst.

Yeah, some dealers won't do it because you might never turn up. But if they're happy to take payment at the same time (thus they've got money for the parts and aren't out of pocket) then it's just because they're a bunch of useless twonks.

They wont even take payment over the phone - which is really maddening. Apparently they've been scammed before. Oh dear. Wonder if I can set up an account with them??

I think the answer is to build up a relationship with the parts guys, although if the dealer principle threatens their own staff if they take orders in a particular way, it's going to be difficult to get them to 'do you a favour'.

I think the answer is to build up a relationship with the parts guys, although if the dealer principle threatens their own staff if they take orders in a particular way, it's going to be difficult to get them to 'do you a favour'.

Up until now I have had a good relationship with the parts guys - but it seems as though they have some new muppets in who can't think for themselves. But it seems as though different places behave differently, so is it down to each specific dealer to make up their mind whether they'll take orders over the phone?

I think after chatting with various people over the years the only real parts policy VW is throwing old ones away when they have been on the shelf for a few months!

It is not company policy to not be able to order parts over the phone or even order stuff and pay for it after it comes in, I even had my old dealer delivering the order to my house at one point.

As David said, it all comes down to how well you get on with the parts guys and if they are given any flexibility. My parts manager up here is not allowed to give discounts as he gets it in the neck even though he would if he could.

Had some success yesterday - managed to get through to one of the guys I know and managed to order the things I needed :D :D . Just wish everyone was as useful as that, rather than seeming to hate their customers. Apparently they wont take credit card details over the phone as they don't want to have peoples details on-site there. If they do they are then responsible for them, in case they are stolen.

So take the details, run it through the system, destroy them. Job done... it just sounds like another can't be arsed excuse to me.

i ordered a new bolster from peter cooper in portsmouth,did the order over the phone and paid on collection,good times!

i ordered a new bolster from peter cooper in portsmouth,did the order over the phone and paid on collection,good times!

Another praise for Peeter Cooper in Portsmouth, have ordered several parts over the phone and paid on collection.

Seems to be all down to individual branches to set their own policies when it comes to parts.