Sign in to follow this  
kwala69

Is my rear axle f'ed?

Hi guys, my first post on here, although i have been a member for a few years now.

Anyway, i need some advice, as i'm not a diy mechanic (yet!). I have a K reg VR6 and my rear drivers side wheel is mis-aligned, and keeps shredding wheeel bearings as a consequence. The front of the wheel is 2-3cm further in than the back of the wheel, and it is only on this side. Is this a common fault, or is the rear axle bent or broke in some other way? The mechanic who spotted it said he could see no cracks or bends on the axle? I have had poly bushes fitted, but now the wheel bearing is shot again i want to stop this happening, and improve the handling.

Please help, any advice would be good. :(

Thats not normal mate, at a guess its had a rear shunt,stub and axel could be bent :( best sorce a second hand axel or get a four wheel aligment to double check but to be honest if you can see it not right then its f*cked

I'm petty sure it hasn't had a rear ender, as it still has the original floor pan with sticker showing paint codes etc. It has been lowered 40mm, by a previos owner, could this be anything to do with it or is it f'ed? I just hope it isn't a bent chasis or anything. Anyone have a clue how much a second hand axle would be? Are they the same as a mk2 Golf or a Passat of similar age?

lowering wont make no differance and the body may not have been hit at all but the axel can still take the shunt,second hand axels can be picked up for 40 quid ish,look in the for sale threads.

I have a spare rear axle (thats definitely straight) if you need one. :wink:

if its eating bearings its most likely a bent stub axle, a bent rear beam would be very unlikely to cause noticeable wear on the bearing as they have the weight of the car on them plus cornering forces, so a few degree's of toe in wouldn't have much of an effect on them, stub axles are pretty cheap and easy to change anyway and should really be changed at the same time as the rear bearings for the amount they cost.

hitting a bad pothole or clouting a curb is easiliy enough to bend a stub axle, and the stub axle should certainly bend before the beam does as i have seen a mk2 scirroco that had slid sideways into the kerb on ice and it looked like the De-lorean from back to the future when its wheels fold up and it flies :lol: the rear beam was removed and measured and was still straight but the stub axle, brake disk, and wheel had to be replaced.

Cheers for the advice guys i may aswell get the stub axle changed then, if i'm getting the bearing done. Should i do both sides or just the bent one?