Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

Rear brake replacments

Evening all

Been trying to replace the rear disks and pads on my VR for the last few weeks with a multitude of issues, the most recent of which is that you have to replace the rear wheel bearings at the same time as he disks and pads.

So i've got all the parts I need but I'm having trouble getting the new races into the new disks. I've drifted the smaller outer race in without much issue but the larger inner ones are being a right pain.

Anyone got any tips or tricks?

Cheers

The rear shell is a little more akward as you have to bash it out through the middle of the disk, which limits the angle of attack somewhat, but I've managed it numerous times with a big old screwy driver :-) Then of course you can use the old shells to whack the new ones in with ;-)

Tom, I've got a vice but it's not big enough to get the disk in an get good even pressure.

Kev, good idea with the old races. Think I'll have a got at that later.

I've also put the races in the freezer and I'll warm the disks in the oven (without telling the gf) later. An old trick but it might help.

Other issue i've realised is that I need to get the cages for the abs sensors off the old disks, haven't had a close look at it yet but I assume they just clip on??

Cheers for the help guys

Yep - I had the same problem as you need something like a 50mm socket....

What i used in the end was a bit of alloy scafold pole cut on a bandsaw and a dead blow hammer, worked fine with the disk on a concrete floor...

Mic - are you going to Northgate on thurs?? - If so I can bring the 'special tool' along...

Also - get new ABS cages, old ones will be ok if your lucky not to distort them getting off but they them probably won't last the life of the discs becuase of corrosion - ABS light coming on at high speed etc...

Yes mate I'll be at northgate on thursday so if you're coming along and don't mind me borrowing that 'tool' it would be much appreciated. BTW - I got myself a set of those bolt grippers, awesome bit of kit. Got those rear calliper bolts off in seconds. :lol:

I'll order some new abs cages as well.

If you've got one that'll be great. I'm off to norwich on sunday so I can drop it all back then if you like?