Sign in to follow this  
fla

Twin spal fan wiring

I've just replaced my stock setup with two 11" Spals fitted into the housing. In terms of current draw, would it still be adequate to connect these to speed 1 on the main connector? If not, how do you utlise the speed 2 wiring (as this looks beefier) to handle the extra current? Thannks

Just wire in a 30 amp relay off speed 1 if you're worried about current draw. A pair of Spals won't overload Speed 1 anyway tbh.

Electrics arent really my bag Kev, beyond soldering and electrical connections. Can you enlightne me furhter on the relay setup? How, which wires go where, and how to mount it etc etc.. TIA.

You just need a typical relay like this one mate - http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=9&pcid=251&sct=1&pid=767&View=Full

The pins are as follows:-

30 - Battery positive

86 - From Speed 1

85 - Earth

87 - To Spals

They're small enough to mount to anything nearby, or just tape to a hose or loom.

The relay will give you a 30-40 Amp feed depending on the type you get, which is plenty!

Finally reinstalled the twin spals in my car with the mocal. Very impressed I must say, a very good mod and it means you dont need to look at the oil temp gauge constantly. Just a point about the fan operation - it runs for about 10 seconds and then cuts out then again for 10 secs etc, rahter than running continuously for a few minutes. Is this normal? The after-run system still works though ie when teh engine is switched off the fans trip in and run for a few minutes. Just a bit concerende about the short running thime though. It was only a short run and the oil took a while to get over 80C before i decided to boot it a little. Oh and its just plugged into the main connector raather than using the relay, yet.

When thee first speed fan comes on does it only run for 10 seconds or should it run for longer?

For some reason the after run fan is not operating now. Water temps get up to about 105C and oil to about 98C even after a bit of a ragging. I would expect the water to come down somewhat if the fans run on longer though - still no ideas anyone?