Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Quick suspension query, simple one

in this diagram

95onstruct.jpg

is part no 6 the same bearing that comes with top mounts, as it refers to "bearing" twice in that list?

i have the rubber bit and the bearing that came with it

DSC00209.jpg

so is there just 1 bearing or two?

3corsameal you might have noticed on another thread I've just finished this job and just to confirm there's only bearing. Make sure you get it the right way up, unless someone corrects me, with the curved plastic bit on the top side sitting neatly in the rubber mounting. When I took mine apart it had been installed the wrong way round - no wonder the plastic had all disintegrated and it also caused the car to sit even higher than normal standard VR6's.

By the way can you tell me where that diagram comes from because it's very good and would have been very helpful to me when doing my suspension and looks like what I need for future jobs.

Thanks, Simon.

pics from the bentley manual... an essential bit of kit if going anyhting greasy to the rado... pissses on haynes (not that they did one for the rado)

3corsameal you might have noticed on another thread I've just finished this job and just to confirm there's only bearing. Make sure you get it the right way up, unless someone corrects me, with the curved plastic bit on the top side sitting neatly in the rubber mounting. When I took mine apart it had been installed the wrong way round - no wonder the plastic had all disintegrated and it also caused the car to sit even higher than normal standard VR6's.

Thanks, Simon.

good info, am converting the 'ssat to late style top mounts soon. cheers for sharing 8)

yes as said pic is from bentley manual, i'm still not sure if my rear springs are on upside down or not?

with car on ground looking at the front springs the bottom 3 or 4 coils are all compressed together, and on the rear its the opposite, the top 4 coils are compressed together?

yes as said pic is from bentley manual, i'm still not sure if my rear springs are on upside down or not?

with car on ground looking at the front springs the bottom 3 or 4 coils are all compressed together, and on the rear its the opposite, the top 4 coils are compressed together?

Thats right chap.

ive just bought some coilovers and need the top bushes (front and back) and also the bearings does anyone know the part numbers cos my nearest dealer doesnt know the difference between a strut and a wishbone...................and its a 94' VR6............. :)

i only asked the part numbers cos my local stealer got confused (whats a strut?...and he thought coilovers was a part of the ignition !), but anyhow went to another an old boy very helpful at the aldershot surrey one, i got top bushes all round , front bearings (he said the rears would be ok ?) and front inner a.r.b. bushes all for £57.........which i didnt think was bad till i asked him the price of a front engine mount £178 !! nearly fainted but ended up laughing........thanks for the info......... :D

When teh shocks are fitted, with the wheels off the ground should there be any play in shocks? I was just cleaning up my brakes today and shook the shock and it was 'loose' at the top. Of course whn back on its wheels the suspension top (part 9 in top pic) was protruding correctly from the body. Should it be loose? Tried tightening the top nut further with the impact wrench but it didnt go any further. Thanks.

In fact if anything, i thought it may help to *loosen* the top nut and allow the spring to open a little more and keep the rubber stop in place? No?

Ouch! That's a lot of money. Corsameal, do you use club / CCGB discount? I just flashed my red and silver card at them about a year ago and ever since I get trade on everything. It's really good. Probs would have cut up to £50 off that bill there :salute:

looking back i think i got £32 discount, i can't remember what they did then, but i've been back many times since and now seem to get the 10% off

I hate to think how much i've spent since that bill :gag: