Sign in to follow this  
corrado1.8t

help from all self installed 1.8t only a small problem

I cant seem to get the temperature guage reading acuratly it runs at 110 from cold, i no that on vag com it runs at 90.c but need the guage to be accurate how do i wire it in? or get it at the right temp

im also interested in this as currently doing same conversion. the temp sender has 4 pins, can you just solder the dash wire straight to 1 of those pins?

I had the same sensor on my engine, I used two of the pins for the ECU and the other two for the temp gauge.

To get the temperature gauge reading correctly I wired a variable resistor between the sensor and the gauge. I then removed the sensor but left it connected to the loom and put it in a kettle, switch the kettle on and wait for it to boil. You now just need to adjust the variable resistor until the gauge reads 100, it took a while to get right as it only needs small changes in resistance to change the reading, make sure you keep turning the kettle on to keep the water at 100degC

Once the gauge is on 100 get a multimeter and measure the resistance of the variable resistor. Go to the RS website and if you're lucky you might get a resistor with the exact value you need, if not you're going to need to use ohms law and try and get a combination of resistors to get as close to the resistance you need as possible. I needed three in parallel on mine but don't have a note of what they were.

Once you've got the resistors put them into the circuit where you had the variable resistor and put some heatshrink over them, check the gauge using the kettle again and if you've done the sums right it should read right.