Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

RONs

I always run the G60 on 97 just for the fun of it really. Plus I don't like the sound of engine knocking much. But do they affect performance? I pulled into a station the other day desperate for fuel and there was only regular 95. It just seems to have made the world of difference. For the worse. It sounds terrible and it's not pulling anywhere near as well as it did. It seems like it's struggling. I can't wait to run out so I can fill it up with 97 again.

My girlfriend says this is all in my head. I don't think it is. What are your experiences?

According to the owners manual, G60's should run happily on 95RON. Its the 1.8 valvers that need the higher octane. Of course using 97 and above will be beneficial to a G60. Is yours modded at all? If you're running more boost then that would explain the poo running on 95.

No, apart from some custom dent work it's all standard. Maybe it's just something to do with the fact that she's getting on in years now. Maybe she just got too used to the good stuff. I do spoil it. I should hopefully be doing some servicing over the next week. Maybe it's all just a coincidence and when I go to have a proper look I'm going to find something wrong....

I've noticed that mine knocks and pinks a scary amount on 95, but runs fine on 97/99.

My car did put down very good numbers compared with all the standard VRs on the last RR I had it on tho, so I have a suspision that mine's been chipped for 97 at some point in it's sordid past.

I've noticed that mine knocks and pinks a scary amount on 95, but runs fine on 97/99.

My car did put down very good numbers compared with all the standard VRs on the last RR I had it on tho, so I have a suspision that mine's been chipped for 97 at some point in it's sordid past.

Hmmm.... that may be a possibility for me as well I suppose. But would you chip a G60 and leave the pulley and everything else standard? I know nothing about my car's history really. Other than one of the previous owners couldn't park very well. :? I know my car as it has been since I got it in April though and it's not the same car I drove to work this morning.

Joe, the ignition could have been advanced a coupel of degrees which would give you a touch more power, but make it run poorly on normal petrol. This would be done by twisting the distributer a touch.

Joe, the ignition could have been advanced a coupel of degrees which would give you a touch more power, but make it run poorly on normal petrol. This would be done by twisting the distributer a touch.

Cheers Tom, I'm about to overhaul the dizzy and plugs etc. Been a hell of a wait for parts with those postal strikes. Will check for that. On a similar sort of note could the timing be out if it's skipped some teeth or something? Although if the engine timing was out surely the octane number wouldn't make any difference to that? I have also noticed the idle speed has decreased after putting the 95 in. Good thing I've got the next 3 days off....