Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Coolant System Flushing

Folks,

In anticipation of flushing my coolant system and filling up with G12+, I have bought:

2x Litres of G12+

2.5 Litres Distilled water

2 x Litres of Anti-freeze

Just want to check I have the procedure correct....

1/ Drain existing coolant.

2/ Flush system by running tap water via hose throught the cooling system with the engine running and the cabin heater on hot full blast.

3/ When water runs clear, reseal system and fill with G12+ & distilled water & anti-freeze.

Is this correct?

Also, where should I drain the coolant from?

Is there a valve under the radiator or something?

What ratio of Coolant/Water/Anti-freeze should I use?

What capacity is the cooling system roughly.

No doubt a few others will have the same questions.

Thanks In Advance

I think the cooling system is about 5 or 6 ltrs I ant really remember. If your flushing the system your best bet woul;d be to put something like wynns rad/cooling system flush in your expansion tank run the car for 10-15 mins and then drain this gets all the s*it out off your system running cold water through wont do the complete system as the thermostat will be in the closed position you have to get the system upto temperature so that the thermostat opens and flushes the block as well as the rad and hoses. I work on the basis of around 40-50% for coolant to antifreeze ratio I dont know what the exact ratio is suppposed to be but 50% is about right I ve never put distilled water in with it though!! up until now never even heard of it!!! You can drain the system by the bottom radiator hose as this is the lowest part of the system!!! :D

Okay

Firstly I personally would only use G11 in my G60 as it says so on the expansion tank, its been used since day one and its okay so far!!

Okay coolant/water ratios

According to Mr Bentley :study:

Sorry No idea about the 16v i would imagine its near to the capacity of the G60

For the G60

down to -25 degrees C use 2.3L Coolant G11 and 3.3L of water

(0.01L missing somewhere)

down to -35 degrees C use 2.75L Coolant G11 and 2.75L of water

For the VR6

down to -25 degrees C use 3.5L Coolant G12 and 6.5L of water

down to -35 degrees C use 5.0L Coolant G12 and 5.0L of water

Unless im mistaken you DO NOT add anti freeze as that is what the G11/12 are for!!!

To drain the System you need to get under the car a disconntect the hoses that goes into a metal pipe across the c that is the lowest part of the Corrados cooling system. G60's and V6's anyway (near the water pump)!!