Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Corrados lower at front then back?

after lowering my car, i have noticed the front is a bit lower than the rear, i actually quite like it like that.

but are they like that as standard? or has this been caused by the top mount arrangement?

am changing springs again tomorrow and going to use late top mounts, so will see if it changes

DSC00255.JPG

DSC00254.JPG

Trick of the light (Dirt!)?

Measure between the ground and sills front to back...

My old Saab looked arse heavy but was flat.. was down to rear arches being slightly lower than the fronts

its the weitec ultra gt kit, -40mm, but fitting with early top mounts, not sure if that makes a difference

tomorrow i'm putting on Pi springs and late top mounts.

its deffo lower at the front by about 5-10mm

Mine's a smidge lower at the front to the back, but evens out with a full tank of fuel.

Could be to do with the top mounts - have you got the same style of ones all-round (as in, all early or all late?)

they're naturnally higher at the back i thought to allow for luggage and passengers on the rear suspension?

Yeah.. but not by THAT much. It definately doesn't look right to me!

Pinkus's top mount theory might hold some truth.. after changing the front top mounts on my car earlier this year (or was it last year?!) I found the front end sat noticably higher than it did before but it wasn't like the old ones were totally hosed.. they were however valver style top mounts and they were replaced with VR ones..

corrados have a nose down stance... much better than the reverse rake that golfs have

Also with the front nose down it gives it 'point' which makes the car turn in sharper.

...and the back lighter so a bit more prone for hedge/ditch action if you're not careful...

3corsameal i've got the exact same ultra gt setup to you and mine looks level.

But slightly off topic, does yours make any funny noises on lock to lock? Mine makes a clunking noises when moving from lock to lock and didn't really want to take it back to pieces again as it doesn't seem to effect anything in the actually working of the suspension. Just seems to make a noise.... :(

Its made the handling miles better though! :D

But slightly off topic, does yours make any funny noises on lock to lock? Mine makes a clunking noises when moving from lock to lock and didn't really want to take it back to pieces again as it doesn't seem to effect anything in the actually working of the suspension. Just seems to make a noise.... :(

That sounds like some nut is loose! Did you re-check everything a week later to see how it bedded in?

Also with the front nose down it gives it 'point' which makes the car turn in sharper.

...and the back lighter so a bit more prone for hedge/ditch action if you're not careful...

And the same can be said for ARB's, tyre pressures, wheel widths.

It's all about what and how much you change varying components to how the car feels and handles, so its not a bad thing having the nose down.

Forgot the phrase but something along the lines of "every positive has a negative reaction" but read opposite reaction, bugging me now, what is it exactly, i'm having a momentary mind block.

yes it does make some funny twangs/clunks as i turn alot at parking speeds, this is part of the reason i'm putting some different springs on tomorrow, so i can use the late spring plates and late top mounts, at the moment i'm using early style of both and didn't really like the arrangement

afterall VW must of revised them for a reason in the later corrados

Did the changing of the springs make any difference to the noises and the ride height?

i only just got changed them yesterday :lol:

from the small amount i've driven i can safely say that turning the wheel is much smoother now, the real test was reversing off my driveway which is up a hill and turning backwards onto road over a dropped kerb.

would make lots of noises and feel very wrong, all that has gone away now :D, deffo something to do with top mounts and it felt like the springs were turning, then twanging back???

ride height seems about the same as it was on the weitec springs, am thinking of maybe putting rear down -60mm and leaving front how it is, then it should sit level, but going to wait until i can park it in same place as before and get a pic to see difference

Before you adjust it too much, I'd leave it a week or two to settle first as the springs will settle a noticable amount.

How do you find the ride compared to the weitecs? only reason I ask is I am running on weitec springs and find them a little harsh. Have been told the pi's give a very comfortable ride.

i've literally only driven it about 3miles and was taking it easy as the tracking is way out now, steering wheel isn't straight anymore.

i think i will leave it for a while Dom, cba to take it apart again, is hard to tell how it sit on my drive as its far from level :lol: just booked it in with that premier garage in newport to do camber etc, blokey i spoke said he used to have a corrado

2cc switched to PI springs with koni dampers on his VR (and I think his valver now) and he absolutely loves them. They seem to be very well suited to the Corrado. Must admit i'm considering a set whenever I finally get my suspension sorted out.

would make lots of noises and feel very wrong, all that has gone away now :D, deffo something to do with top mounts and it felt like the springs were turning, then twanging back???

That could of been your top mount bearings, mine used to make clunking noises when turning at low speeds (i have weitec coilovers though). I looked at the top mounts when the steering was being turned and they were turning slightly and then twanging back like you described. Turned out to be the top mount bearings in upside down thus not working.