Sign in to follow this  
Funkster

VR to come out, leave gearbox in place? (or vice versa?)

Hi all,

After finally getting my rebuilt powertrain back in and the car ready for MOT after being off the road for a year, I took it out for a quick spin and half a mile down the road it blew out an oil gallery plug. Turns out you're supposed to loctite them in... nice of the service manual to mention that eh? Oh no wait, it just says "install"...

Ho hum.

So, I have to hoik the engine out again after half a mile. What's the consensus, is it quicker (or for that matter even possible) to leave the gearbox (and as much else as possible) in the car? Or is the entire powertrain coming out again just to replace £5 of steel plugs?

Somewhat miffed,

--

Olly

its a tight fit but the engine and box can come out together at an angle without removing the front panel. Much easier though if the bonnet or front panel is removed

Gav

Aha... what about leaving the gearbox in as well as the front panel? Will it come out? I have no particular desire to undo the drive shafts and shift linkage.

At least I know that none of the bumper / front panel bolts will be seized, it's only been a few days since I did them up with copper grease :-/

Cheers,

--

Olly

aye the engine will come out on its own leaving the box insitu, i just find it easier taking the d/shalfts off and undo the linkage

Gav

Thinking more about it... how hard is it to lose the gearbox but keep the engine and pipework where it is? I just need to be able to get the flywheel off, and have some room to work - the engine can stay in the car for all I care. Peeps do this to change the chains don't they?

Ta,

--

Olly

I have taken the gearbox off with the engine in situ for a clutch change. Easy enough if the engine is well supported. Hard job is getting the thing back in lined up correctly. Its not the lightest object in the world and you need to hold it to be able to wiggle the gearbox shaft into the clutch. Much easier on a ramp but try it on the ground. some workout for the arms!

Much easier on a ramp but try it on the ground. some workout for the arms!

Is no problem - have pit, crane and trolley jacks! And I could always do with bigger arms too ;o)

I take it the 'box drops out the underneath without having to remove any coolant pipes etc.? Can you leave the two engine mounts bolted up or does the engine need to tilt to get the gearbox clear of the clutch?

This definitely sounds like the easiest plan.

Cheers,

--

Olly

Sorry to hijack this post but it is relevant.

I have removed two engines thus far.

The first one was an audi and i took it out with the gearbox attached

The second was a mk 3 gti.That one I unbolted from the gearbox and lifted it out that way.I thought this was easier.

I didn't put either of these two engines back though.

So would people say that in terms of putting gearbox and engine back together its easier to do it outside of the car first,thus its better to take gearbox and engine out together?

Cheers.

So would people say that in terms of putting gearbox and engine back together its easier to do it outside of the car first,thus its better to take gearbox and engine out together?

When removing my longitudinal engines, I've always found it to be easier to remove engine and gearbox together, but that's because the bell housing is buried down the tunnel and it's tricky to get at the bolts, whereas unbolting the propshaft and gearbox mounts is relatively painless.

When I removed my VR for rebuild, I knew I was going to strip the gearbox also so I removed and reinstalled as a mated pair... so not sure if it's really quicker/easier to just remove one or the other.

--

Olly

When I removed the vr gearbox in the car the front mounting bracket has to come off because it fixes to the block and the gearbox. You are also going to have to move the block slightly to get the diff through a small gap between engine and subframe I found. I does fall out the bottom of the car. Then you have to get it out from under it also. Nothings easy is it

In my experience, I find it a lot easier, quicker and nicer to hoik the whole thing out as a job lot via the front and it's whole lot easier refitting the gearbox to the block when it's on a bench / floor!

It doesn't take long to remove the front panel, bumper and radiator.

And when the bay is completely empty, it's a good time to tidy up any iffy wiring and fix things you wouldn't normally be able to get to 8)