Sign in to follow this  
TomD

Battery sizzling...is that bad?

...I'm guessing it is!

I noticed (since I got my car back from the garage... ) that when I turn the engine off I can here my battery sizzling. At first I thought it was the rad, but I pulled the battery out and stuck it on the floor in the garage and could still here it sizzling! It does seem to be starting ok though.

The battery's less than a year old and a bosch silver.

Could something like a bad earth cause this as they've messed up other electrics by not putting the +ve strap to the starter motor back on properly. I'm still replacing fuses and bulbs and they seem to have knackered my HID's too. Idiots.

Cheers!

:(

Sounds like its possibly over charging Tom?

Id check the voltage at the battery with the car running,everything leccy turned off.

Id also hold off on fitting that new voltage reg until you find the problem,but i suppose your old one may be causing the problem?

Neil.

Ok will do! Cheers!

What would cause it to over charge....and how much is too much volts? as its had earth problems before so I kind of thought that might have come back again!

They call it gassing. It's not good, usually a sign of overcharging, so possibly a regulator problem on the alternator.

Too much volts is anything over 14.3 v.

Also it definitely didnt do this before it went in to the garage! is it possible they've damaged something in the electrics by not refitting things properly?

Ok....thanks guys I think its definietly over charging...

17.6 volts with everything running! :(

What could cause overcharging... apart from a garage that employs monkeys being let loose on your car? Seriously you should see the list of what these guys have broken....

I take it its not a good idea to keep driving it how it is??

Argh! Idiots!

P.S. I replaced the voltage regulator about 4 months ago with a new one as it didn't seem to be making enough volts, along with loads of earth lead replacing and sanding of connections! Its been working fine since I fitted it and I can't see why they'd have taken it out of the alternator. Could a didgy circuit cause it to knacker itself??

Aye...best not to drive it Tom :(

That new volt reg is on its way to ya first class recorded...Maybe when it turns up (hopefully quickly) throw it on with the small screw set fully anti-clockwise and have another quick look at the voltage at the battery.

If its still the same/similar (over 15 volts) then its probably a short/something in the alternator thats gone.

I may have an alternator kicking about somewhere...

Neil.

Ok...

Pulled all the wiring for the alternator out and checked it all, pulled out the regulator and cleaned up all the contacts. Got it all back together, and if anything the voltage is higher now (oops!)

So I'm guessing its likely to be the alternator?? :(

Sounds that way Tom :(

Have you checked that all the earths are good/clean? one behind the battery on the chassis that leads to gearbox etc etc?

Im not entirely sure on this and could do with someone confirming...

But i think if the supressor dies (little black thing on side/one wire) then the voltage may jump up?

I don't know what makes me think that...but i do for some reason :lol: Sorry...been on the budweiser :oops:

Ok! Temporary fix!

This morning I stuck the old volatege reg back in the alternator and its back to 14.3 or just under! So they've managed to fry the current one!

So Riley when the new reg arrives I'll stick it in!

Bit weird though, I decided to buy the reg from you before I knew this was the problem! Spooky!

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys, now I can drive to work!!!! :D :D :D :D

Neil!

The regulator came yesterday and I fitted it last night...set it to just under 14.3V and it all seems to be working well. The reg I put in yesterday was on its last legs and the brushes were almost gone, so it all seems to be ok. So thanks very much!

However...is it likely to have caused any long term damage to the battery - as I can't imagine boiling it will aid longevity??

Though it seems ok at the minute.

Thanks again for your help guys! :D

However...is it likely to have caused any long term damage to the battery - as I can't imagine boiling it will aid longevity??

Correct, it won't help!

You should make sure each individual cell is topped up with distilled water. You should also check the acidity in each cell, but you're not likely to have the tools to do that..

No worries Tom. 8)

As Dr_Mat says really...won't have helped with it being over charged,id probably see how it goes,worth just checking the levels as said above.

Neil.

Ok will do...but I thought theses newer batteries were sealed units? Or can you still open them up and check the levels?

Ok will do...but I thought theses newer batteries were sealed units? Or can you still open them up and check the levels?

Depends. Check yours. A non-sealed unit can be made to last much longer than a sealed one, but of course you have to maintain it yourself.

Chances are that if you had acid boiling out it's not sealed, too.

Chances are that if you had acid boiling out it's not sealed, too.

I don't think the acid actually boiled out of the battery - I could just made the boiling noise??

I have a similar issue. Car started fine before my immobiler had a problem. I ended up turning the car over loads on the battery diagnosing and bypassing the circuits so i managed to completely flatten the battery.

Ended up reading around 9.5v :shock:

Stuck it on charge for 3 days (new fancy charger puts out 14.3V at 3.6A then trickles when it detects the battery is charged), but I could hear the battery fizzing and bubbling when on charge. I didn't like the idea of filling my kitchen with hydrogen so I disconnected it.

Pulled it off charge, and it reads 12.5V and it won't start the car.

Battery is a massive Bosch silver 75aH car is a VR6. Battery has an indicator - white for vharge, bladck for check and green for OK, indicator has always been black.

Car starts fine using the 60aH bosch silver from my golf.

Is the 75aH bosch dead?! or can it be coaxed back into life?

Ended up reading around 9.5v :shock:

Stuck it on charge for 3 days (new fancy charger puts out 14.3V at 3.6A then trickles when it detects the battery is charged), but I could hear the battery fizzing and bubbling when on charge. I didn't like the idea of filling my kitchen with hydrogen so I disconnected it.

Pulled it off charge, and it reads 12.5V and it won't start the car.

Is the 75aH bosch dead?! or can it be coaxed back into life?

9.5 v is so bad you probably had some cells dry. You can boil the battery by excessive cranking time too - the heat generated in the battery when it pushes the 180 amps required to turn the starter is huge...

It's not unusual to hear *slight* fizzing noises if a battery is on fast charge. But check the voltage after 30 minutes "rest time" once the battery is no longer being charged.

If you've checked all the cells are topped up with distilled water then your best bet is to get a battery conditioner to cycle it and VERY SLOW CHARGE it.

If that doesn't work, it's toast, take it to the dump for recycling into new Bosch Silver batteries.