Sign in to follow this  
Ryk

Expert advice needed (but you guys will have to do !)

This thread should maybe go in the "problems" section but since it is just a question I've added it here...

If the clutch bites very early, ie least than an inch from the floor, is this a sign of a worn clutch or is some adjustment possible ? I am aware it is hydraulic but do not know whether this is adjustable or not.

One other question whilst I am here...

I have quite a few bulbs gone in the dash, for instance the rear window heater switch, the heater control knobs and some of the other switches. How easy are these to get at to replace ? Are there any vital tips in getting to them ?

Thanks guys and girls.

Ryk

"Picked up my Storm yesterday and keep smiling" man

A good clutch should bite low on the pedal, but if the bite point is progressively getting lower (should get higher as it wears) and lower, then your slave cylinder is probably leaking.

The heater control knob bulbs are just standard 1.2W interior bulbs, halfords sell them. As for the rear screen switch, not too sure. You might have to take the switch apart to ascertain what illuminates the button.

Kev

Try bleeding the clutch first, as there could simply be air in the lines. Failing that, then as Kev says, the slave will need replaced.

Stick your foot on the clutch and hold it there for a while - several minutes. If the biting point feels to have moved even further down, its likely that the slave cylinder is sh@gged. If it doesn't change anything, then its likely that bleeding it first might help.

Bear in mind too that some people opt to change both the slave AND master cylinders when this happens.

If the clutch bites very early, ie least than an inch from the floor, is this a sign of a worn clutch or is some adjustment possible ? I am aware it is hydraulic but do not know whether this is adjustable or not.

Sounds very much like the slave...

For now you may find it helps to take out the carpet mat but get it looked at asap - check the fluid level and also check for visible signs of a leak from the slave on top of the gearbox, it will leak internally at first but you don't want to get to the point when your clutch is not returning to position!!!

A good clutch should bite low on the pedal, but if the bite point is progressively getting lower (should get higher as it wears) and lower, then your slave cylinder is probably leaking.

The heater control knob bulbs are just standard 1.2W interior bulbs, halfords sell them. As for the rear screen switch, not too sure. You might have to take the switch apart to ascertain what illuminates the button.

Kev

any ideas how to change the heater control bulbs Kev? - Ive noticed mine have blown except for the centre one :(

HI Scott,

There is only one bulb for all three switches mate. the centre one is supposed to light up all three but it dosn't really do it that well.

Hope this helps Dale

Interesting *:) - perhaps the bulb just needs a clean then to restore full brightness!!!

Im based towards North Manchester... Kearsley.

Cheers

Scott